-04 Mercury 150 Starter Problems

dieterly

Recruit
Sometimes the engine only fires once, and then the starter stops cranking/turning the engine, all you hear from the starter is "buzzing" sound. After a few more attempts, with the key, the engine normally fires up with no problem.<br /><br />This has been goin since I bought the/engine brand new. Of course, when I bring it in to the dealer, they can't duplicate the problem...<br /><br />Any suggestions?

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: -04 Mercury 150 Starter Problems

Sounds like the usual loose battery connection,or dirty or corroded or related.<br /><br />But an 04 Merc 150 should not be giving you a problem even if the dealer can't find it.See if you can call in a service rep.<br /><br />DHP

dieterly

Recruit

Thanks for the response..<br /><br />Checked all the connections and they are all good.

TxShorty

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have seen (once in 13 years) a battery with a broken plate that caused this exact problem. The buzzing sound mixed intermittantly with good cranking usually means a bad connection somewhere. I'd recheck all the connections, openning and cleaning them and then reinstalling. You'd be surprised how a little bit of corrosion can cause this....

fullsize_chevy

Seaman Apprentice

I have had a similar problem on my 2004 merc 115 2 stroke carbureted motor. When starting the motor, it stops cranking if the motor fires. Sometimes, it sounds almost as if a gear disengages or something. However, it is never a problem that deters me.