bottom yoke replacement

Pianh

Cadet
'97 90hp Mercury 3cyl <br />Do I have to remove the powerhead to replace the bottom yoke on the swivel pin? My Mercury service manual does not give instructions on removal, just a exploded view. Can the upper shift shaft be raised enough to get the lower yoke out without removing the powerhead?

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: bottom yoke replacement

Newfie,<br /><br /> I'm not sure what you are trying to do.Maybe you should be dropping the lower unit ?<br /><br />DHP

Pianh

Cadet

The bottom yoke on my motor mount has significant play and needs to be replaced. It is mounted on the lower spline of the swivel pin of the mid section. The shift shaft runs through the swivel pin and bottom yoke and into the lower mid section where the lower unit mounts. If I remove the bolts where the yoke mounts to the leg and slide the yoke down off the spline of the swivel pin the shift shaft will prevent it coming off. If the lower unit is dropped the shift shaft stays with the mid section (there is two shift shafts, upper and lower) and I am no futher ahead.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Now I see what you mean.The shift rod will move up some,but no where near enough for it to clear the lower bracket you want to remove.You do have your work ahead of you.<br /><br />How far have you gone with this disassembly ?<br /><br />Another thought ... if this bracket is bad what else is shot ? I'd gues the shaft as well ?<br /><br />DHP

Pianh

Cadet

I haven't started disassembly yet as I like to know what I am getting into before I proceed. The shaft appears fine, there isn't any play in it. The lower yoke appears to be the only part worn. The centre spline is tight, the mounts on the leg are fine, but the bushings within the yolk appear shot. The motor won't be able to come off as the yoke housing is ok, but the play is not good.

chumbucket

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know on my 150 carb Merc. Powerhead has to come off to replace yoke and put new bushing's ,swivel arm