What year and model is my Mercury?

I've a 225hp BlackMax probably a 94 or 95 year.Is it an XL CXL EFI or what? Where can I look.My mechanic said it's a one year model with a left or reverse prop.counterclockwise.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: What year and model is my Mercury?

That would be a CXL. C for counterrotation, XL for 25" transom (extra long shaft). EFI? I dunno. Have a look under the hood. Does it have carbs? Most EFI hoods would have EFI on them. No EFI on the hood, may not be EFI. Counterrotational models are usually used on boats with 2 or more outboards. You can use it as a standard rotation outboard, you just have to get a right handed prop and connect the shift control cable correctly at the lever.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Willy, aren't the gears different for counter-rotating motors? I was under the impression forward & reverse gears were mechanically different. Switching the prop would be like running in reverse at WOT. Am I out to lunch?

Thanks Willy, it has carbs but I was told it is also fuel injected.Can that be? No EFI logos are anywhere. Just says BLACKMAX 3.0L Offshore.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

It's either/or.<br /><br />The gears are cut differently and supported more completely in the counterrotational gearcase, more like a Bravo drive. So you can run it either way equally well. But you dare not run a standard gearcase as a counterrotetional.

north40

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you run a counter rotating prop it will be the same as conventional engine except that torque will be opposite. If you don't know the difference in torque, there is none. Crank it up and have fun!!!