Mercury Optimax

ztazman

Recruit
2002 opti max 225 warning horn will not stop beeping on and off not just 3 or 4 beeps but numerous, ( not a steady tone) engine temp is fine, oil level is fine resevor is filled to the top no air. Also no water in the fuel. Anybody have this problem

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury Optimax

Just to point you in the right direction, if it's a constant beep, it's temp., if it's a series of beeps it's oil. Are any indicaters light up on your gauges? Check for water in the fuel filter under the cowl. Good Luck, Joe

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You need to hook the engine up to your DDT to determine what the warning is... You don't have a DDT? See your Mercury dealer.

papasmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What is the sequence and duration of the beep(s)? Are any lights on your warning gauge?

kennermike

Recruit

I too have a problem with a steady tone alarm. I'm ready to sell this my first boat because of the stress. I would love to chat with someone with similar problems. My 2003 Mercury 150 EFI Saltwater alarms a steady tone when I try to get up on plane. This is usually after a ten minute 5mph, low wake zone before hitting the channel.<br /><br />I'm on my 3rd empellor and 2nd empellor housing. I hardly run skinny anymore due to concerns of sucking sand or shell through the motor.<br /><br />Mercury has been NO help and I'm on my 2nd mechanic trying to find the problem. The problem is intermitent and seems to occur more in the salt water. My temp guage indicates high temps in the upper 160s when the alarm goes off. Water psi at idle is .5 PSI, yes point 5. At about 3500RPM I get about 7-9PSI. I'm really at witts end on this.<br /><br />I would appreciate a direct e-mail to<br />miked@jcevans.com<br /><br />Many thanks,<br />Mike

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

The water passages may be clogged. Take oout thermostats, drop the L/U and, flush out the water jacket with the garden hose thru the t-stats holes. Watch to see if any debris falls out of the water tube.

does it come on as soon as the key is turned on or when its running,if it just comes on with the key check sensors on heads and wire connections I had one with ecu no good but do simple stuff first,if its running check thermo,poppit,water pump,also make sure the right impeller key is used on drive shaft

ztazman

Recruit

Ok The beeps start 4 minutes after the engine is started when cold at idle power when the problem first came about I was Running the boat for about 1 and a half hours. I have had the boat for over a year never had a problem with this engine. I flushed the engine no problem with water flow. Does not show an overheat on instruments.

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

Make sure the cap on the remote oil reservior is tight ... make sure the small oil reservior on the port side (I think) of the powerhead is full. If conditions aren't "tight" and "full", see the manual. If both are OK, see a mechanic if the manual doesn't specify what the noise is all about.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

So what you are saying is that the alarm is beep. beep beep beep, rather than a sustained beeeeeeeeeeeeep.

ztazman

Recruit

That is correct beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beeep it doen not stop

orca

Chief Petty Officer

Check the filter at the end of the pickup in the remote oil tank (Tank that is in the boat), if the oil in the bottom of the tank is thick and dirty, not enough oil will pass through this filter at high speed but enough oil will pass through at low speed to top up the other tank.

check remote oil tank on side of engine cap may be stripped,or float in oil tank sticking or sensor fell off float in oil tank. if any of these are the cause of your alarm you have to replace tank