Merc 150 V6 Trigger Free Play

333kelly

Cadet
I purchased a 1987 150 Merc V6 XR2 this spring and after several attepts to fix an intermittent miss, decided to rebuild the fuel system and check the ignition. I have removed the carbs and fuel pump and have to re-build them yet. I removed the flywheel and the stator and noticed the trigger had a fair amount of free play both sideways and up and down. The play is in the range of 1/16 of an inch or more all ways. The plastic covering on the wiring coming out the bottom has a crack in it but I cant find a number or date on the trigger. I do know that the previous owner used to pump the throttle/shift lever back and forth 8 times before cranking, he seemed to believe that it would prime the engine. I told him that it didnt do anything and he seemed surprised as the previous owner told him to do it, so it has been done a lot. Would this practice have worn out the trigger from all of the constant turning. Should I replace it

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Merc 150 V6 Trigger Free Play

First you should use the push to choke on you key switch to prime the engine. The trigger should have some horizontal give to it. When the throttle advances it pulls the trigger as well via the lever that's connected to the trigger and throttle arm. This shift of the trigger advances the timing which is necessary at higher RPMs.<br /><br />As long as the insulation of the trigger wires (purple, brown, white) isn't damaged and you don't have the copper wire exposed, I would just wrap the area in question with some electrical tape. <br /><br />Rebuild the carbs, check for spark on all cylinders and see where you stand.<br /><br />-andy