Throttle creep

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, here it is: I run a pair of 96 mercury 150's carbed 2-strokes. The comfortable speed and the RPM's the engines like, don't always match. I try and bump the throttle up just a bit and it runs away a few hundred RPM's higher than I would like before settling in. For instance, I was headed offshore yesterday in 3-4 ft chop, once trimmed out for comfort I wanted to run at about 3300 RPM's on both engines 19NM/hr.. they on the other hand would run at 3000 solid, and when I try and bump them up to 3300, they run to 3800 everytime which was too fast for comfort.<br /><br /> Wheres' the problem? In the control's or some adjustment on the motors themselves. I've got some series hand pain from working with that throttle all day and would love some advice on how to remedy this...<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Grandx.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Throttle creep

It sounds like your cables could be sticking or kinked

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm near certain the cables are not kinked... Still looking for advice to remedy the problem.

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

Could you be planing easier at that magic speed. My Fountain CC falls out about 3400. I have to kick up to 3800-4000 to hold it up on the keel.

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the instace described from this weekend, I'm on plane, although I'm sure every RPM above 3000 the boat is planning easier. I'm thinking there must be some problem why I cannot force my motors to run at the RPM I decide, lock em in, and forget about it. In some instances... say on the way home Sunday, the chop dropped to 2 foot and was following me in, I ran about 3500 RPM and 25-27 mph, locked in have a seat and enjoy the ride... YOu may be right and there's little I can do about it, just wanted to hear some opinions on the subject.