How to upgrade 4Stroke 50HP to 60HP

jordan2

Cadet
I have heard that upgrading Mercury 50HP engines to 60HP was a simple and inexpensive procedure. Someone posted some information about it on this forum for the 2002 models. My 50HP 4 Stroke is a 2003 with EFI. Does anyone know exactly how to do this?

mixerjv

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: How to upgrade 4Stroke 50HP to 60HP

I have the same engine, a 2004. It's the computer you have to swap, about $800, and I don't even know if mercury would sell you it.<br /><br />On the carborated models it was a restrictor plate that had to be removed, pretty simple, much diferent story for the EFI's.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You need to look at the complete parts list for each engine and identify the differences.

jordan2

Cadet

Doesn't sound like "a simple and inexpensive procedure" to me. Problem I have is getting up on a plane under very heavy load. I camp and fish in the Everglades backcountry, staying 4 days or longer on a trip. The boat is really "overloaded" going in because we take 40 to 50 gallons of gas, 2 coolers, a pile of camping equipment, etc. and there's two of us. We look like a barge. <br /><br />I use a 12 pitch SS prop. <br /><br />Sometimes we can get up and other times we can't so I have to go back and leave some of the fuel or something else. <br /><br />I have learned how to distribute the weight to get the best results, including knowing exactly how to lay down, if you can imagine that, but, boy, would I like to have another 10HP. Only problem is that my boat, a 16' Carolina Skiff, is only rated for a 50HP. Otherwise, I would have put a 60HP on it to begin with and I didn't want to be obvious with the overpowering. <br /><br />Of course, everything is fine after we get unloaded and set up camp except that we have to be conservative with the fuel once we get in there. When I say we go into the backcountry, I mean 50 miles...waaaaaay back in the back country where the really big snook are.

orca

Chief Petty Officer

G,day. Suggest that you try a smaller pitch prop. Merc make an aluminium Work prop that is designed to push barges and houseboats. Pitch is about 10 1/2" Large blade, They also produce 9" and 8".<br />iboats may also be able to supply suitable props.<br />Good luck

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The hydrofoil fins that you install on the engine can be a big help in these situations. There are many brand (Doel fin, Stingray, and more). Its a cheap investment ($50 on the high end) and I bet you will be pleased with the result.

jordan2

Cadet

I have Doel Fins. Do you really think another pitch might help. I had thought that 12 pitch was as much I could get in SS that was efficient. <br /><br />I only need that extra "UMMMPHHH" for about 30 seconds....just enough to get up. What kind of RPM's and speed would a smaller pitch give me? I run about 4500 RPM once I get up. Max would be about 5000 with my 12 pitch under such a load.

jordan2

Cadet

Two more questions: Fuel economy!! How much would it affect my fuel consumption if I were to put on a smaller pitch prop? <br /><br />It takes about 7 and half gallons now to get to where I go...a distance of about 50 miles. Sounds like there might would be some kind of trade off as if I might be able to get up on a plane but it might would require more fuel. Is that correct?<br /><br />Second question is self-explanatory, I guess in that I would have to change props once I got back to where I was going. Right?

orca

Chief Petty Officer

If the boat is not getting on to the plane then you are pushing through the water, not running on the top. You would be using more fuel if you are not on the plane. <br />As a rough guide you will get approx 500RPM more for each 1" pitch prop dropped. If you are getting 5000 RPM Max now and the 50EFI is rated to 5500-6000RPM I think that the 10 1/2 should lift your max revs about 750 RPM and put you into the center of the rev range.<br />Prop selection sometimes can be a trial and error thing.<br />Yep the 12" stainless would be the best when you reach your destination.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Best fix - trade in the 50 and get a 60....<br />- Scott

jordan2

Cadet

Not interested in trading in the 50 for a 60. As I said, I only need the extra "ummph" for about 10 seconds or so to get up on a plane.Yes, I realize I would use a helluva lot of fuel by going in without getting up on a plane and would never attempt such a feat. I am, however, interested in gettting more info about using a smaller pitch prop. I saw this prop: <br /><br />http://www.boat-props.com/propellers/s/manufacturer-Mercury/rotation-Standard/chart-52/pitch-10.50/prop_chart_relation_id-1814/index.html?horsepower=50&search=Product&**********=57 3801426&engine_id=279&pf_new=1<br /><br />Any opinions about it? <br /><br />I woud have to change props once I got to where I was going but that's not a big deal. I am only concerned about how much fuel I would use on the 50 mile trip by going to such a prop. If it's going to use an excessive amount of fuel, I am not sure it would make much sense.

mixerjv

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As a sidenote I have the partlist for the 40/50/60 EFI 4Stroke (it's the same partlist for all three) and the only difference is in fact the computer (ECM) and decals.<br /><br />Here is the # for the 60 ECM:<br /><br />89195238T ECM 1 $783.00 <br /><br />For the complete parts list go to this page and enter your serial number:<br /><br /> http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/PartsExpress/ProductSelection/ServiceParts/sphome.asp?CID= <br /><br />The prop in your link looks interesting, certainly cheaper than a new computer.<br /><br />Also, as a sidenote, if I understand it right these computer controlled engines compensate for variables such as barometric pressure, air temperature, etc., and limit or allow power accordingly so there is little to be gained in speed in the off season by upping the pitch when it's cold like there is to be gained on a carborated engine.

jordan2

Cadet

Buying the "computer" part doesn't make economical sense to me, but the prop sounds interesting so, if anyone has an opinion about this particular prop given the information I have described above, I am all ears. At a price of only $69, I am a bit skeptical. Why so cheap?

jordan2

Cadet

One more thing: How can I verify that this prop will fit on my engine?

jordan2

Cadet

I just ordered and received a 10 1/2 pitch prop. Am going to the Everglades on Monday for 4 or 5 days. Will let you know if it helps any insofar as getting up on a plane under heavy load. Thanks for everyone's input.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

To help you get on plane -- consider adding Nauticus Smart-Tabs.

jordan2

Cadet

OK, here's what happened. I had no problems getting up on a plane with the10 and 1/2 pitch prope, but gas consumption was another story. So, like every thing, it's a trade off one way or the other. BTW, I have Doel Fins.

phatmanmike

Captain

ditch the doel fins, and get some smart tabs. <br /><br />doel finns drag in the water, smart tabs actually LIFT your boat out of it !

orca

Chief Petty Officer

Jordan, Thanks for the feedback, how did the 10 1/2 go for max speed. Also how did the prop go on the unladen boat.<br />You are right about the trade off, you cant have your cake and eat it too.

erniex

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Would drilling (ventilating) the prop help any? I know you can get a better (faster) hole shot without degrading top end speed or gas milage when done properly. Just a thought....