New motor

copperfinger

Cadet
Hi there. After reading lots on this site and doing some repairs to my 1990 25hp mariner, I finally went down to the dealer and bought a new 2006 mercury 25hp. I figured I might as well for this purchase should last me 20yrs i hope. My old 25hp needs a helicoil the dealer says and he only offered me 100.00 trade in. I never took it, now I just have to decide what to do with it. Part it out or list it as is. Going to go to the lake tommorrow to burn my new motor in, any tips on how to and for how long? I am sure pleased with my purchase.<br /><br />Thanks to all the info a person gets from this site, it is great. Hopefully with the new motor I shouldn't need ya for a while lol.<br /><br />Les

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New motor

Is it a fourstroke or two stroke and which brand of two/four stroke is it? (optimax, efi, carb, verado...)

copperfinger

Cadet

Looking at my reciept it is a 2006 25M, two stroke. Dealer told me this is the last year they are making the two stroke.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Well, you should run a premix of 50:1 (fuel/oil), on top of what the oil injection gives you, for the breakin period. This will get everything sufficiently lubed. Also don't open it up all the way during break in, 3/4 throttle is perfect.

papasmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As long as your old motor was running good, why not take it to a machine shop and have them heli-coil it.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

If all else fails, READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL! ;) <br /><br />I don't think that a 25 has oil injection. You'll have to mix oil in the gas all of the time. Put in double oil for the first tank or two. Breakin procedures will be outlined in the owner's manual.

copperfinger

Cadet

Hi<br />Went to the lake to do my burn in. Mixed 25:1 for it, and the manual said 1 hr at various speeds for no more than 2 minutes at each speed. I completed the burn in and opened her up and man did she fly. I was by myself in my 14ft aluminum boat because no-one wanted to come for burn in. I was amazed i could idle it right down to as far as it would go befor shifting to neutral. This is way slower then trolling, and it never stalled.

copperfinger

Cadet

Hi<br />Went to the lake to do my burn in. Mixed 25:1 for it, and the manual said 1 hr at various speeds for no more than 2 minutes at each speed. I completed the burn in and opened her up and man did she fly. I was by myself in my 14ft aluminum boat because no-one wanted to come for burn in. I was amazed i could idle it right down to as far as it would go befor shifting to neutral. This is way slower then trolling, and it never stalled.<br />Now for some serious fishing and fun.

saumon

Lieutenant

For your old engine, best way to sold it (if you are inclined to) is to part it and sell them on e-bay but, like papasmurf told you, heli-coil is not such a big job. But we don't know the engine history. What is it ? I bet on destroyed impeller, then overheating, causing head gasket melting and, finally, stripped head bolt when trying to remove it :D

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm betting its where spark plug threads that need heli-coil...thinking dealer wouldn't give $100 for saumons motor.