Stator replacement

dliley

Cadet
I found that my switch box was going bad and replaced it on 60 hp Mercury 3 cyl 1987 model, in the process discovered that the white wire from the stator was totally deterrated, it just crumbled in my fingers, all the way back to the stator, I am told the only way to fix this is by replacing the stator. My question is what steps are involved in getting to the stator and replacing it. My local supply person said a new stator is $250 or so, I can buy one on Ebay for $129.00, I am not sure I have the ability to remove the flywheel to get to the stator, I am not sure of the proper steps and cautions necessary for doing this, can anyone out there advise me on this.

KCLOST

Commander
Re: Stator replacement

Sorry to hear about the stator leads being so bad Dale. You will need to remove the flywheel with the appropriate flywheel puller for your motor... The mercury puller is not cheap either... But once you have it it's a piece of cake... Pull the flywheel, remove the stator and bolt a new one in place etc., etc., ..... Pull the kill switch and battery leads first...<br /><br />I would really recommend buying a repair/sevice manual... It will help you through the process, torque numbers, sequence, etc. I may have the manual you need, let me check into it and I'll let you know... I used to own a 1985 merc. 50hp...

Laddies

Banned

White wire from underneath the flywheel should be a trigger wire not a stator wire

dliley

Cadet

I think it would be better for me to go ahead and have the local repair shop take care of this, I had not thought about torques and a Puller, thanks so much for the response