Starting/running engine

dliley

Cadet
I have a 1988 60 hp Mercury 3 cyl outboard that will run about 20 to 25 minutes then just quit running as if the key was turned off. It will not start back up until it has sat and cooled.

KCLOST

Commander
Re: Starting/running engine

Just after it quits, check for spark on all the cylinders.. I would use a spark gap tester to do this (set at about 1/4" gap. If there is no spark, you have an obvious electrical problem and I would lead towards a failing switchbox that malfunctions when heated up.

dliley

Cadet

Thanks for the advise, I will get the tester this morning, I was afraid of the Switchbox being the problem, but I will check it first.

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mine is supposed to be doing the same thing, please let me know what you find out. Thanx

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've had the same problem too, and tried changing the whole ignition apart from the switch box with no change.<br /><br />This leads me to believe it was the switch box.

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have the sac-a-lait strated to bit at Toledo bend yet? I used to have a camp at Pirates cove.

dliley

Cadet

We are catching a few on our baited holes but they are still scarce right now, some are being caught in the coves but not many.

dliley

Cadet

It was the switch box going bad, I replaced the box and it works like a new one again. But now I find out that the Stator will have to be replaced, a couple of the wires from the stator are in very bad shape, not much left of the wires to work with.