2005 115 Optimax Premature corrosion

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class
2005 115 Optimax Premature corrosion

I just took my boat out for the winter and was surprise to find that the lower unit had a number of bubbles in the paint and the trim tab had started to corrode. The boat has been in a fresh water lake since May and shares a boat house with my pontoon and 14' which both have Mercury motors and show no sign of corrosion.<br />The dealer has checked to make sure there is no electrical potential and that the anodes are grounded correctly. He is now waiting for the mercury rep to take a look and give his opinion.<br />I hope this can be sorted as the motor has performed flawlessly and is very impressive.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2005 115 Optimax Premature corrosion

Does it have a stainless steel prop? Are any boats nearby plugged into shore power? SS props expose a lot of bare metal that conducts a lot more electricity to the water and corrosion can go rampant. A coat of clear paint might help. And if a boat is improperly wired to allow for stray electrical current to enter the environment nearby, that will do it too. It doesn't have to be your boat ... it could be another nearby. One simple solution might be a battery switch. Tilting the motor out of the water is another possibility.

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

Willy <br />If it's stray current or shore power wouldn't it be doing it to his pontoon boat and dingy motors also?<br />Just a thought.

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Willy,<br />Yes it does have a polished High Five SS prop but as blue pointed out the other two motors are fine.