8hp 2 stroke merc milky/oil crude from exhaust

royerj1

Recruit
Hello all, I read through the FAQ and found a couple very similar to this but I have a couple more questions. The motor runs great. It just started doing this last weekend. I drained the lower end oil and it was perfect color. The motor is never taken off the boat so there's no laying it on it's side issue.When it's idleing, within 2 minutes there's 2 inches of the milky brown residue running down the upper lower unit exhaust ports. There's 2 small ports where it's coming out of. Why would it start doing this all of a sudden. Is this something to worry about? It's also coming out of the exhaust hub. One thing I didn't check is the level of the lower end oil before I drained it, should I do this next time?<br />Thanks in advance!<br />John Royere<br />john.royere@medtronic.com

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 8hp 2 stroke merc milky/oil crude from exhaust

How much oil are you putting in the gas? Are you trolling with it or running it fast? Slow running won't blow out the crud, you have to run it fast to accomplish that.

royerj1

Recruit

I'm running 50 to 1 Yellow Gal bottle Pennz Oil. Most of the time I'm full throtle. I was on a bigger body of water so I was moving from point A to B and then use the trolling motor up front.

royerj1

Recruit

WillyBWright, I had it in a 50gal can yesterday to check it out after I changed the lower end oil. I couldn't run it too hard without losing half the water, so I idled most the time.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds normal. Get over it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

sounds like its running rich or a coil is failing.<br /> some of the 80's and 90's twin coils had a tendancy to crack and fail. test the spark with a 7/16th gap tester

Moody Blue

Captain

My dads motor started doing the same thing towards the end of this season. Also started stalling frequently at trolling speed, something it has never done in the ten years he has owned it. When it stalls it give a 'cough' and spits a bunch of that creamy milky oil out the exhaust. This is not normal for sure. Looks like maybe water is somehow getting mixed with the combustion products? A gasket or seal gone somewhere?