Motor Swap?

adidaswolf2

Cadet
Quick Question.<br />1983 Glastron SSV 151 Mercury 50hp (rated for 90) No tilt/trim<br /><br />If I were to find a good deal on a nice used motor (75hp or up) for my boat, how easy is a swap? I assume the easiest is swap a Merc for a Merc. If it was a Merc swap, would it just be a matter of unclamping the old one and clamping the new one and connecting the controls?<br />What about a totally diff motor with controls? I am trying to get the feel for if this is a job I can do (modestly) or farm it out to a shop. <br />Trying to be resonably cheap as if I spend to much it would be easier to just sell the boat and get a diff one! Thanks in advance.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Motor Swap?

The older 50 has a differant transom bolt pattern than a mid sized 4 cyl. so you would have holes to plug, if the ign. type was the same the harness and cables should be the same

dolluper

Captain

Right now your talking a 170lbs motor where as a bigger will weigh alot more 200lbs++++,you will need a hoist[chain or other] to get her on

jaybirdtx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Your looking @ approx. $2000-$3000 for a GOOD used engine. Ask yourself "Is the boat worth this much?" Taking the age into consideration, I would personally say "No". Unless you just can't stand to part with her. If you go to a bigger engine make sure the transom has NO FLEX to it when moving the engine back and forth. Is it does, NOW is the time to repair it. Transom rebuild can cost anywhere from $500-$1500. Try to stick with the same brand. Re-rigging to a different brand can sometimes be a nightmare and expensive also. Alot of the gauges are specific to that brand and would also need to be changed out if going with OMC,Yam., etc.