60 hp mariner bogging down

riverebel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 60 hp Mariner OG381643 on a pontoon.Was running at 5000 rpm this weekend and it shut down to 3000.Compression is 110 in all cylinders.I am getting spark in all 3.I took the cover off carbs and when I rev it up a little it looks like it is blowing gas out of the bottom carb.it also has gas running out of the copper looking tube in that carb.Would that be a reed or what? Thanks

riverebel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 60 hp mariner bogging down

Would that still cause it to blow gas out the carb when you rev it up

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Could, but spitting gas is typically associated with a bad reed(s). Might be a combination of both a float/needle problem and a reed problem.<br /><br />If it were me, I'd remove & inspect the carbs and at the same time take a close look at the reeds through the intake opening (if you can see them) while the carbs are off.

riverebel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

what are the symptoms of bad reeds.i removed carbs but couldnt see the reeds

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Its hard to get a good look at the reeds through the intake mainfold. Basically your reeds are one way, meaning allows fuel and in but not out. If your reeds are worn fuel can get blown back out, through you carb troats and this is what you may be seeing. If its only a little gas I would imagine its a stuck inlet needle or that the float needs adjustment.

frontier6901

Recruit

Hello!<br /><br />I know this was an older topic but I had the exact samething happen to me this weekend. I got it up to 5000 RPM 37mph and it bogged down to 3000 rmp and then ran at 3000rpm for like 3-5 sec and then kicked back in up going up to 5000rpm, it continued to do this for 15 min or so then started running great. I ran it wide open 5000rpm 37mph for about 5 miles no bogging at all. I did have the boat sitting for 2 1/2 months cranking only every other week but not running it wide open or in the water. I am wondering could my gas have just gone stale or gotten al ittle water in it and running it cleaned it out? I am going to remove the old gas and put new and replace the filter, would this clear the problem from the explained above issue?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Dwayen

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

New gas with some fuel stabilizer to remove any excess water in the tank.

perryt99

Recruit

Riverebel

I have a 1988 Mariner with the same problem(s), did you ever determine what was causing your engine to have this problem?

Thanks
Perry