Totally confused!!!!

Funkyfarmer

Cadet
Hi People,<br />Greetings from England. I'm a newby here so please be gentle with me!<br />I recently bought a used outboard and I'm having difficulty finding out anything about it. I have tried several sources including Mercury them selves but have had no reply.<br /><br />The lettering on the cowling says 'Mercury 20'<br />The lettering is in a two tone blue and the figures '20' in red. In addition on the small front panel in silver it reads 'Electric' This is where my total confusion begins. Its a pull start, not electric, in fact there seems to be no starter ring even? <br /><br /> Now things get even more complicated. It was built in Belgium !!! Ser No 9261690. I can find no reference to this number or anything like it.<br /><br />I'm in desperate need of info to be able to buy a workshop manual or at least a handbook.<br /><br />Thanks for taking the time to read this. I only hope someone out there might be able to help

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Totally confused!!!!

Welcome to the forum!<br />It sounds like you have a 1980-81 Merc 20hp. I don't know where to look up Belgian ser #'s but I own a couple of these motors with the same decals. iboats sells the manuals for it.<br />About the electric start there are two possiblilities:<br />1. Someone removed the electric start and converted it to pull start<br />or more likely<br />2. Someone switched front plates from another motor that had electric start.<br />Good luck with it.<br />Does it look like the first 20 hp in this pic?<br />
PA150200sm.jpg

inlineal

Seaman Apprentice

Funky.?..According to the Belgium chart I have 1978 had a starting S/n of 9171006 which would make yours at least 1978 or somewhat newer...starting S/N 950xxxx was in 1988...

Funkyfarmer

Cadet

Cheers for that Eric. Yes it looks exactly the same. I owe ya one M8

timmathis

Lieutenant

Love those merc's! all. Good Luck Farmer, Tim

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

According to your serial you've definately got a 1980/81 model.