drive shaft seized on 40 hp. mariner

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well this motor way running to good to just walk away from it. Shaft is seized so I cant remove the power head or drop the gearbox to change the water pump. Want to give parts away but that is difficult and maby premature. <br /> Time for plan B. Selock manual suggest drilling a hole in the caseing and cutting the shaft with a toarch. How about getting a milwaukee sawsall in the hole and cutting the shaft? Has anybody ever done this? hate to write the motor off for the cost of a new shaft. Suggestions appreciated! thanks fred

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: drive shaft seized on 40 hp. mariner

That new shaft maybe $400 plus.Drilling the housing and cutting with a torch sounds explosive,cutting the shaft with a sawzall ... could be 7/16 or more diameter of stainless steel to cut.And the splines are still stuck.But you can get at them.<br /><br />I'd get a diagram of the lower unit.If no oring on top of the drive shaft or in the lower crank seal housing ... <br /><br />This a long shot... turn the engine upside down,drill a small hole in the housing,and spraying oil or WD40m on the driveshaft ?<br /><br />DHP

Moody Blue

Captain

My 1992 40HP has a stainless driveshaft so I am wondering where and what two parts are seized. As you move the L/U up and down, do you see any movement in the flywheel at all?<br /><br />Trying to cut the driveshaft with a sawzall through a hole in the exhaust housing would be very difficult to say the least.<br /><br />Try what I suggested on your other thread. A good soaking in penetrating fluid works wonders. You will get a much better result if you repeatedly tap the flywheel nut with a hammer to setup vibrations in the frozen shaft. May take several days of soaking, tapping etc but it just may come loose.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi guys! guess I jumped the gun on creating another thread on the same subject. Tired, was not thinking. On my attempt to pull the power head the crank shaft locked up so i quit so i would not ruin any bearings in the motor<br /> On trying to drop the gear box, same problem with the the stuck crank so i quit again. Some how or other I will get the power head off with out damaging it. Ran to damn good to destroy it. If i screw things up someone will be able to use the top end. Thanks for your responses, fred

jaybirdtx

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like it is FUBAR'd. Sorry...but the best thing might be to dig a hole in your wifes flower garden, plant the engine powerhead down, and use it as a windmill. Please don't be offended!

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No offence taken. Will try to do the surgery monday. Its not a big investment yet except the new trim motor. $400 for the 72 glastron beyond restoration and a trailer I am afraid to mover more than 100 ft. plus motor. Held water and ran fine. Might end up taking it out in the sound and giving it the vikings funeral trick. regards fred

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ummm...I'm probably gonna get laughed off the board for this...<br /><br />but...<br /><br />You say it runs great and only needs a water pump.<br /><br />Well...<br /><br />Maybe you could rig up an electric pump and run a hose somehow and connect to the inlet pipe?<br /><br />If you can knock a hole big enough to get a torch or sawzall blade in there...maybe you could use a hole like that to run a hose in?????<br /><br />I know that we're milking it along here...but...It just might work???<br /><br />Thanks for laughing... :) Chuck :) <br /><br />PS...Otherwise...what DHP said about turning the motor up-side down and dribbling penetrating oil down the shaft would be what I'd try... Geez...let it soak for a month or two if need be...Nothing to loose.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Or...could you hook up the electric pump's tube to the pee hole and pump water through backwards?

timscooby

Cadet

same problem as fred, loosened all bolts on the bottom, should the lower leg pull free or is their anything im not undoing on the top end to make it drop!!

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks all for your response. Cut a hole in the leg and sawed the shaft. Lower unit slid right out and i expect the power head to do the same. After i cut the hole i guess i could have turned it up side down and tried penetrating oil but it is still hung on the boat. Wife gives me dirty looks when i get anywhere close to the motor now. Any suggestions on a method to rejoin the shaft or get a new one? Good old motor just might be purring again. regards fred

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've had the same problem. I tried everything but had to cut a whole in the shaft to get to the driveshaft. Then cut this so that I could get to the bottom of the block where the driveshaft seats.<br /><br />Then the fun began. After 2-3 hours drilling and grinding out the old drive shaft, careful not to touch the locking teeth I finally prized the remains of the old driveshaft out.<br /><br />With a new driveshaft and shaft, all was good ;o)