STARTING PROBLEM 115 MARINER MOTOR

jornelas

Recruit
IM HAVING PROBLEMS STARTING MY OUTBOARD 115 HP MARINER ( 1987 ) MOTOR ( INVADER BOAT 18'), I HAVE TO REMOVE A SPURKPLUG SPRAIT WITH ETHER AND WILL RUN, THIS HAPPENS WEEN IS COLD... I CHANGE FOR A NEW ELECTRICAL HARNESS.. AND THE SAME PROBLEM CONTINUES....<br />LAS WEEK GONE FISHING AND NOTICE MOTOR MAKING A LOT OF VAPOR WHAT CAN BE WRONG.. I USED 50:1 RATIO ON FUEL THATS CORRECT .. PLEASE HELP ...THE FUMES, WE NOT FROM THE OIL WERE CAMING OUT FROM THE HOLE WERE THE WATER ARE SUPPOS TO COME OUT..

Vlad D Impeller

Commander
Re: STARTING PROBLEM 115 MARINER MOTOR

Do not try to start that motor until you have had the carbs cleaned and the waterpump rebuilt.<br />Get the compression checked, and do not spray ether into the engine.<br />I hope that you have'nt done any damage to your motor.

jornelas

Recruit

thank for the information will buy rebuilt kit for pump .. motor has no damage but carbs were clean and the problem continues having problem to start motor.. as soon its starts it will not hat a problem.. we push the gas manualy and will not star ween is cold.. do you think the supply of gas is not the appropited one at the moment we start the motor..

jornelas

Recruit

this is the numbers on my 115 hp mariner 1987 outboard motor # 5180778 and 54935. wath type of water pump kit i have to buy .<br />ween i bought the electric harnes the # 414-2770 this is the number they gayme..

emckelvy

Commander

Make sure you pump up the priming bulb in the fuel line VERY hard before starting.<br /><br />When starting make sure your fast idle lever is giving it enough throttle to start.<br /><br />Make sure you are pushing in the key to choke the motor. The choke on this motor only works when the ignition is 'ON' and the key pushed in.<br /><br />If your motor has choke shutters on the front of the carbs, make sure they are moving when the choke is pushed. Make sure they shut all the way and seal against the carbs.<br /><br />If you have a primer valve instead of choke shutters, you'll see a brass-colored valve on the left side of the motor, with fuel lines hooked to it. There is a small knurled knob on top of the primer. If you open this up, it'll send fuel to the carbs when the primer bulb is pumped or when the engine is being cranked. With this 'knob' in the shut position, the primer valve operates electrically with the ignition key pushed in.<br /><br />If the primer is not letting gas go thru, your motor would be very hard to start. You can check this valve to see if gas is getting thru it.<br /><br />For your water pump kit, I'm assuming this is a 6-cylinder Inline motor and you'd want a Sierra 18-3217 impeller repair kit.<br /><br />Here's one place that carries the kit:<br /> http://www.boatfix.com/bykeywordnew2.asp?textfield=18-3217&texttype=2&submit=Search <br /><br />This is a kit with impeller, pump plate and gaskets, etc. <br /><br />For a complete pump kit with upper pump housing and lower pump body, it's 18-3314. The Mercury part number for the complete kit, would be 46-96148A8 ($40.85 U.S. at the Merc dlr).<br /><br />G'Luck........ed

jornelas

Recruit

thanks for you help ...gracias y muchos saludos desde tijuana mexico..