Leaky Reeds?

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
I had my engine fully tilted up the other day. I removed the plugs and sprayed some PowerTune in the cylinders. About 5 minutes later I tilted the engine down and white liquid came flowing out the carbs. It may have been only one carb, but I don't know. Does this sound like bad reeds, or is this normal (I doubt this)?<br /><br />If the reeds are bad it might be worth mentioning that the engine runs great in idle and at WOT. But the first burst to WOT (midrange) is a little bogged. i.e., it takes a couple seconds to get to WOT. However it won't do it a second time, UNLESS I troll or idle for a while. I heard of this symptom and leaky reeds before.

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: Leaky Reeds?

Nope... more like a symptom of idle needles a LITTLE on the rich side. So it loads up trolling.<br /><br />-W

LubeDude

Admiral

Im sure Clams is right, if you want to check, remove the cover from your carbs and start the engine on the muffs. Its said not to run your engine at WOT without the cover on. [on the lake], Anyway, if you have a bad reed, you will see gas spitting backwards out of one or more carbs. This test isnt fool proof, but it works most of the time.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Not that I don't beleive you, just curious, but why did the PowerTune forumla come pouring out. I only shot it into the cylinders and somehow it escaped.<br /><br />Black MAx 88 200 V6

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

Those reeds will have a gap up to .015 easy. So yeah, it is gonna run out through the reeds. When reeds get bad, the motor starts sneezing a lot at idle and trolling. Did you forget to put some SeaFoam in your gas tank?????

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

I rareky do the Preventative treatment, ie. SeaFoam to the Gas tank. I usually just do a full out decarb 2-3 a season.

Clams Canino

Commander

What Bushcat said. And I'm overdue for a de-carb. Thanks for the reminder. :) <br /><br />-W