Mercury 150 hp oil injection removal

ibmcc

Recruit
just bought a mercury 150hp elpto (1984), the oil injection pump is still fitted however the tanks and pipes have been disconnected leaving the pump with two unpluged inlets.<br /><br />is it safe to run the engine on a 1;50 premix or should the oil pump be removed i'm worried about air or dust being sucked into the engine through the unplugged inlets.<br /><br />the alarm sounds when running the engine at high revs, its a continuous single tone that stops in about 20 secs after i reduce engine speed, is this the overheating alarm or does it something to do with the oil injection sensor.<br /><br />any advice would be appreciated.

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury 150 hp oil injection removal

Iain....you should cap the open holes on the oil pump, but you can also buy a dummy oil pump to replace the spent one and run 50:1 premix.<br />A steady beeping is an overheat alarm. Seeing how you just bought the motor, you should replace the water pump.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Oil pump warings are a beep beep beep, continuous alarm is overheat. Replace the water pump as dtherrien mentioned. I would also take a look at the thermostats, test em, and if they are crap get new ones and gaskets.

ibmcc

Recruit

Thanks to all for advice, I can see that big outboards can become addictive and expensive although I,m looking forward to tackling a pump and thermost replacement.<br /><br />Regards <br /><br />Iain