Reluctant Powerhead

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer
I'm swapping a 1980-81 20hp Merc Powerhead onto a 1976 20hp Merc engine (I'm assuming it'll work, same bolt pattern). My problem is that the 1980's powerhead is stuck on the midsection. I took out all 6 powerhead bolts and everthing inside the cowling holding it down then hooked the powerhead up to an engine lifter. Once it was about 3" off the ground me and my friend each stood on a side of the engine stand and waited, but the powerhead never seperated. That's about 350lb pulling on it! Is there a better way to get this thing apart?<br />Eric

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Reluctant Powerhead

Drive shaft splines are likely siezed in the end of the crankshaft. No suggestions other than figuring out how you can get some penetraing oil to that joint.

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probably not your problem but will relate my experience first time I tried to lift powerhead off of my 1975 500. Would not release despite all the words I knew plus some prodding with a prybar. Finally realized I had not undone 3 grounding straps. Those little buggers can be much stronger than they look. Good luck.

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

I go it! I lifted the powerhead up with the engine lifter and 2 guys stood on the motor stand while I heated the 6 studs. While they were glowing I got the two guys to jump and I helped pull down and it wouldn't budge, so I heated the studs back up and splashed water on them while everyone was on the stand and it finally all came apart and everyone fell to the floor :p . <br />I was able to lift the powerhead off the other motor by hand. I guess the first one had seen more salt.<br />Eric