HORRIBLE GAS MILEAGE

velvethammer

Recruit
I get terrible gas mileage with my sport 120 ('95 regal rush 15 ft) seems to run alil rich, no bottom end. when it planes out has good speed, but my kid burns a tank of gas in 4-6 hours (16 gallon)

AndyL

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: HORRIBLE GAS MILEAGE

That doesn't sound too bad to me..Less than 4 gallons/hr. I think i read somewhere that 1 gall/hr/10hp is a rough rule.

KCLOST

Commander

120hp/10 = 12 gallons per hour @ WOT

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is this something new vh? Or are you just beginning to take notice because of the higher fuel costs?<br /><br />I'm tempted to start a new thread to see what various engines deliver in terms of fuel consumption/hour@WOT...I think I will!<br /><br />Thanks for reading...Chuck

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sportjets are fun but inefficient- I burn about 20% more fuel than comparable outboards. Saw your other post about needing a manual vh-post your email and I'll send you a zipped pdf copy of the complete merc manual...no longer online.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Go to Yamaha's web site and look at performance tests. You can check various boats, two-stroke, four-stroke fuel economy, speed, etc. As was mentioned, drop the last digit of the horsepower and you will be close to the wide open throttle fuel consumption in gallons/hour. 50 HP = 5 gal/hr. 150 HP = 15 gal/hr.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Yes, I think he probably did not notice it before fuel went sky high. I know that my ski boat with a 150 will suck a 6 gallon tank dry in about 20-25 minutes at WOT, Where my 65 will go about 1 hour on 6 gallons at WOT. Tim