Merc 402 mystery part

crstrode

Cadet
I've just bought a Mercury model 402 (40 HP 2 cylinder). Model year is 1976, SN 4362XXX.<br /><br />What is the little round plug located above the cavitation plate on the exhaust housing?<br /><br />The one on my motor is in poor shape. Before I take it out, I want to find out what it is - just in case it falls completely apart during removal.<br /><br /> <br /><br />Thanks,<br />Carl<br /><br />PS: I gotta get this fixed pronto, cuz my better half wants to take the motor out for a spin very soon!

Laddies

Banned
Re: Merc 402 mystery part

All that is a plug to cover the hole for the trim tab bolt, most have fallen out and not a nessecary item anyway

crstrode

Cadet

Cool!<br /><br />I had a suspicion that was the story.<br /><br />I guess I've never had an old Merc where that plug has survived!<br /><br />I do seem to recall a recessed bolt hole in the same place on both a 65 HP inline four and a similar 20 HP 2-cylinder.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Haha...<br /><br />You and I have the only two motors left anywhere that still have that little part cstrode...My '77 85HP still has hers...and people point to it when it's on the trailer... :) <br /><br />Anything that rare...we should sell 'em on e-bay !<br /><br />Thanks for reading, Chuck

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class

HAHA ya mine is still hangin in there too :) 77 1150<br />Jon