96' 250 Saltwater EFI stalls after running at 48k for 2 min

usla1

Cadet
I am running twin 1996 250 efi saltwater obs wit 600 hrs on them. I am having the problem of the engine cutting off after a high rpm run ( while still throttled). I then pump up the primer bulb, which then gets stuck in the deflated position. (why)<br />I have removed the fuel pick up and checked the line all the way to the motor for obstructions. Nothing, it pumps fine with the fuel line disconnected. The other engine runs fine and is not afflicted with this issue.<br />After a few minutes the motor will again crank easily and run fine until the above steps are repeated, and again it will stall out.<br />Help please!

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: 96' 250 Saltwater EFI stalls after running at 48k for 2 min

Sure won't be hard or expensive to try a new primer bulb. (or swap them ) and see.That will tell you if the problem is in the boat or in the motor.<br /><br />DHP

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

.. it pumps fine with the fuel line disconnected.<br /><br />Then you have an air leak somewhere .. it should pump up hard when disconnected (you're pulling fuel out of the tank, but it has no place to go, ergo, bulb should be rock hard). Swap the fuel lines ... if the other engine does the same, problem isolated and ready to be solved. ;)

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

New fuel line and primer bulb. Make sure you get a merc primer bulb, don't waste your money on a tempo, sierra....they are all crap. Check to make sure your tank is vented as well

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are both engines pulling fuel from the same tank? Either way switching lines is the quickest easiest way to find the problem, as stated above. If the ball gets sucked tight in a collapsed state, you have a restriction before the ball. It could be the anti-siphen in the ball. Good luck , Joe