Is this correct

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am confused!! I have a 1987 Evenrude 50 hp motor. I want to add a tachometer but not sure what configuration to get.<br /><br />This is where I get confused. I have checked my manual and can not find the answer. Some pages are missing. From what I can find on the Internet the motor is a 5 poll alternator. If so does the tachometer need to have a setting 5 on the back. I can find tachometers with settings of 4, 6, 8, and 10.<br /><br />Thanks for the help in advance.<br /><br />Larry

Laddies

Banned
Re: Is this correct

You need the the tach with mutiple setting the alt. driven is the highest setting, if you need a plug in harness Teleflex makes one

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Evinrudes use a 6 pole setting. So, if you have multiple settings you would use the 6. ;)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if its a 4 wire rectifier its a 10 pole or 5 pulse system. if its a 3 wire rectifier its a 12 pole or 6 pulse system. on the tach it should tell what number corresponds to which poles or pulses.

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the help everyone!!<br /><br />New manual came in the mail yesterday. Rectifier is a 4 wire. So now I can bid on a tach.<br /><br />Thanks again.