Purchasing an E-tec

downjigger

Seaman Apprentice
I need some feedback from E-tec Owners. I'm looking to purchase a new boat and motor soon. I have had my mind set on an E-Tec since they came out. Yesterday a dealer (sells Yamaha) told me that the E-tec would have substantial vibration at slow spped. I mostly troll fresh water and have owned many Johnson and Evinrude motors from 235 HP to 3 hp. I am tempted by the 18' Polar Craft withe 90HP Yamaha the dealer is showing me. Nice looking fishing boat. I am also loking at the 17'6" SB Starcraft which I was thinking the 90 E-tec would work well with. Any input on the vibration or the setup would be appreciated.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Purchasing an E-tec

I have a feeling you'd be more than happy with either a new Etec or Yammie, but the last thing I'd do is believe any dealer's opinion about the competition. The only way for you to know (probably) is either to talk directly with owners of each that you trust, or better yet, test drive the same or similar motors.

walleyehed

Admiral

Well said by "D".<br />What do you expect a Yammy dealer to say????<br />You must understand the advancements the e-tec has, and take into consideration the competition doesn't want you to believe it can be (IS) better than their product.<br />Granted, either would not be a "Bad" choice, but does Yammy have a 7yr warranty???<br />E-TEC does if purchaced before April 15th., other-wise the 7 year warranty is available for a small price compared to an O/H after 4 years, things happen...I don't think either will short you that much, but consider the new BRP way of business...it's good, period.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

At the Minneapolis Boat show in January, one of the dealers had a 90 E-tec set up in a tank. They let them run the engine for five minutes each hour. That engine is so smooth you set a wine glass on it and not spill a drop. It starts seemingly by staring at the key and it idles so slow you can almost count flywheel revs. And by the way -- its very quiet.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

you don't mention if yamaha is 2 or 4 stroke if its a 2 stroke basically the same as older johnsons if its a 4 stroke... e-tec

NOSLEEP

Commander

I have a e-tec 90 I purchased last spring. And I<br />have to admit I am very pleased with it.<br />I have around 100 hrs on it. And use it mostly<br />to get me to my fishing spots. It starts on the<br />first turn of the key, even below freezing. It<br />idles smoothly and quietly. I run mostly in the<br />mountains at 5000 ft and on the ocean for a <br />few weeks salmon fishing. Did I mention the fuel<br />economy is excellent.<br />If you want the best bang for your buck, you wont<br />go wrong with an e-tec. I know I didn't.

downjigger

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Guys-<br /><br /> Thanks for the Feedback. Of course I expect the Yamaha Dealer to promote his product (4 stroke)) and the only negative he had was shake at idle. Since I'm a troller this made me think. I know th E-tec starts great, I love the technology and UPINSMOKE had some great insight as well as NOSLEEP's experience. Off to the Bost show Friday and ready to buy. I hope someone has the right boat with a 90 E-tec on it! Justa few more weeks until ice out.....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You don't have to buy a package boat. Find the boat you want and order it with no pre-rig. You'll get the steering and instrumentation since thats standard. Order your engine from wherever you get the best deal. Make sure pricing includes rigging and the engine gauge. That way you get the boat you want, the engine you want, and the the engine can be serviced if necessary by the dealer of your choice.

JRJ

Commander

Good advice from Upinsmoke. Package "deals" are seldom exactly what you want. Be careful of smoke and mirrors. Anyone that trys to sell me something by knocking the competition, doesn't sell me anything :cool: Enjoy the buying expieriance, and walk away from a "deal" that is only good till 5pm. Don't buy an under powered rig. Have fun, its your money ;)

G

I bought a 50 hp e-tec last year. It is a 2 cylinder motor so there is some low end vibration. i have not seen the larger e-tecs run so i can't say idf there's vibration in them. <br /><br />The idle speed on e-tecs can be dialed down. In my case, it's at 650. At that speed, the vibration occurs. When I throttle up a little to 800+ rpm, you can hardly feel any vibration. So I think if you stick with the "out of the box" RPM setting, you'll be okay. <br /><br />That's just my non-professional guess. Good luck!<br /><br />Bill

downjigger

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Guys, that's good advice about buying the motor and boat seperate. I called a dealer that I know that has a 90 E-tec. His price is about 8800 installed with all controls guages etc. Ed's superstore has one for 6799 plus shipping. So the local guy is talking 2,000 for installation , guages control etc. I need to think about that. I may be able to do the installation myself. I also need to find a Starcraft Fishmaster 17'6". Anybody got an idea on what top end will be rigged this way?<br /><br />This forum is excellent. I have been using it since about 2001, completely rebuilt a 1972 65 HP Evinrude, restored to original condition and was able to do it because of the advice and leads I got from the iboats forum.<br /><br />Thanks Again

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by downjigger:<br /> I called a dealer that I know that has a 90 E-tec. His price is about 8800 installed with all controls guages etc. Ed's superstore has one for 6799 plus shipping. So the local guy is talking 2,000 for installation , guages control etc. I need to think about that. I may be able to do the installation myself.
Not a comment on your ability to do the installation, but what do you think the shipping would be. That could cut into the price difference a little. When I've ever encountered a large difference between local pricing and internet/mail-order (I've done things as large as cars and major appliances such as refrigerators and stoves), I always am very up front with local dealer telling him what I can get it for (including shipping and all other expenses) and asking him how close he can get. They almost always get close enough for me to go local, but not always. Put a price on what it would be worth to you to have the local guy do the installation, then, accounting for shipping, see how close you can get with him. It never hurts to negotiate with the local guy, because if the numbers work out, you'd probably be at least a little better off with buying local. There's a lot to be said (and worth some money) to have someone local with whom you have a business relationship.

downjigger

Seaman Apprentice

Yes D., that's pretty good advice. I don't mind spending a little more for the service and relationship not too mention someone to stand behind it. I did send an e-mail off to Ed's to see what was included and they haven't got back to me yet so that say's something I guess.<br /><br />Do you have an idea on what I can expect for top speed with the 90 setup on a 17'6" Aluminum StarCraft?

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Do you have an idea on what I can expect for top speed with the 90 setup on a 17'6" Aluminum StarCraft? [/QB]
No, sorry, I'm not familiar with that. WAG would be greater than 40 mph. I had a 18 foot Hewes River Runner years ago. A fairly stout aluminum boat with windshield and canopy. It would push 35 mph with a 70 hp Evvy. I'll bet someone with better knowledge will pipe in. Have fun with that new engine no matter where you get it from.

Drydocked

Cadet

Originally posted by downjigger:<br /> I need some feedback from E-tec Owners. I'm looking to purchase a new boat and motor soon. I have had my mind set on an E-Tec since they came out. Yesterday a dealer (sells Yamaha) told me that the E-tec would have substantial vibration at slow spped. I mostly troll fresh water and have owned many Johnson and Evinrude motors from 235 HP to 3 hp. I am tempted by the 18' Polar Craft withe 90HP Yamaha the dealer is showing me. Nice looking fishing boat. I am also loking at the 17'6" SB Starcraft which I was thinking the 90 E-tec would work well with. Any input on the vibration or the setup would be appreciated.
I have a 2005 90HP E-TEC with about 40 or so hours on it. It is a three-cylinder motor, so it does have a little more vibration in it than I would have expected at idle, but as soon as I put it in gear, the vibration disappears. At low speeds, it is about as quiet as a 4-stroke. <br /><br />I have a fuel flow monitor on the boat, at 1000 RPM I am getting almost 16 MPG @3.9 MPH.

JRJ

Commander

I bought my Johnson 115 4-s from Ed's. I shopped my local dealer first, and even with shipping, he couldn't come close. Local guy was happy to take delivery and rig it for me. Ed's is busy. Try again if you like his price. If price is close, give your local dealer the biz and be happy :D

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

downjigger i highly recommend that you have an evinrude dealer install your motor if you install yourself and do one thing wrong you could void all that wonderful 7 year warranty 2,000 seems a bit high for install but what do you get?<br />if you buy motor in a box you will have to buy other items, prop, control, harness, cables, battery,system check gauge etc etc<br />when we rig a motor every thing is done so all you have to do is jump in and go<br />p.s our rigging price on a 250 e-tec is around 1600 canadian