1986 Mercury 8hp Should I touch it?

haddles

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been looking at purchasing a new 8hp outboard to power my aluminium car topper. I have come across and old guy who has had a late 1986 motor since new and has NEVER used it. It is a short shaft with the shifter on the tiller. The motor has been wrapped in bubble wrap and has been filled with oil. What I would like to know is what should I look out for on a motor that has been sitting for nearly 20 years and has much changed from this model to the current model? Are many parts interchangeable?

fishmonger.33

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1986 Mercury 8hp Should I touch it?

personally i find the older motors more reliable if they are taken care of properly. all of my outboard motors are old and i like them. if you are handy and good with motors go for it if not go with a new one, though they do become more complex as you get into the newer models the parts do range a bit {old to new motors}you can still get parts for the older motors easy enough.if it has been sitting for a while make sure it isn't seezed befor you buy it, you can check this by putting it in gear and pulling the cord, if the prop turns you should be ok to go.fishmonger.33

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

Old? That's the year of my newest engine! :p

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

Never?<br /><br />Dave..

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

haha...I agree with Eric...I have a 1977 Merc 850 and a 1979 Johnson 15...<br />I don't really consider either of them "old"...<br /><br />With the condition that one should be in...I wouldn''t hesitate at all... assuming that you can get a good price and a chance to fire it up "on approval".....<br /><br />You might have to R&R the fuel lines and impeller (the rubber parts might be dry from age...)<br /><br />But probably you could just gas it up...pull the rope..and go fishing.<br /><br />Only thing...I hope he didn't "fill it with oil"....maybe just some squirts into the cylinders and carb to make it through the winter of '86? and '87...and '88...and '89...<br /><br />Too bad the old guy never had his chance to have any fun with it<br /><br />Thanks for reading, Chuck

haddles

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, never. He bought the boat and motor and parked it outside his house and the boat got stolen that night. He brought the motor inside. It's never even seen a boat. He's turned it over now and then but it's never had the fuel line connected to it. I was looking for a new one and I suppose this one is. He wants about a quarter of the price of a new one for it. No warranty obviously. I think "filled it with oil" means he took the plugs out and squirted some in because it turns over easily. You've convinced me, I think i'll get it. It's almost retro!