Old Outboard Motor

tcwestee

Cadet
I have an old motor approx 1909. I am trying to get more info on this motor. I cannot find a model # on it anywhere. I believe the motto for it is called "Throw Away The Oars". The motor is in excellent shape and turns over freely.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Old Outboard Motor

Howdy, tcwestee.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />That was Ole Evinrudes motto, tc.<br /><br />You need to give us more info to work with.<br /><br />You can also try www.aomci.com

tcwestee

Cadet

Yes! It is an Evenruide. I can't find anything on the motor that tells me what the model is. I figure the year from an old readers Digest page that shows this exact motor along side a lark and the photo was from 1964. It said's in the photo that it was 55 years from 1964 this motor was made. That makes it around 1909. If anyone is interested in helping, I also have several photos I can send

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Okay, now you've got my curiosity up. POST the photos for pete's sake!

fireman57

Captain

Please post a picture. Where did you get this engine? I don't think there were outboard engines until the forties but I could be wrong. If it's older than that I bet it's gonna be tough gettin parts.

Paul Moir

Admiral

1909 was the first year Ole Evinrude sold an outboard motor. <br />Here's a 1913 one<br /><br />It would be very nice to see a picture of that outboard you have. I take it you haven't noticed a serial number anywhere?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The Rowboat Motor design (forward pointing cast iron cylinder with brass lower end) was built for many years beginning in 1909. They didn't change a whole lot in outward appearance during the run into the 1920s. <br /><br />If it's still there, the serial number should be stamped in a plate on the rear top edge of the gas tank.<br /><br />A few identifying things to look for. Late 1910s models had "reverse" feature that involved twisting the tiller handle to allow the lower unit to rotate with the torque of the propeller. The very earliest models had no embossed wording on the exhaust elbow, later ones (beginning about 1912 or 1913) had raised lettering and stylized boat that mentioned the Evinrude Rowboat Motor, as in the picture that Paul provided. Early models had a very small gas cap, approx. 3/4-inch in diameter, while later ones had a larger cap, approx. 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Early models from 1909 into 1910 had no skeg below the gearcase bullet. Models without the reverse feature had a removeable tiller handle, usually cast bronze, as pictured in Paul's post. Early models had no decals (1909 definitely, maybe somewhere in 1910 they added them). <br /> Hope that helps...<br />- Scott

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Tcwestee, I once saw a hand-powered outboard motor. It was similar in appearance to that 1913 outboard. I was under the impression that it was made by Evinrude. It had a cast brass flywheel with arrows in the casting indicating to turn this way for forward, and the otherway for reverse. It would certainly meet the polution standards for this year.

tcwestee

Cadet

I am very new at this. My PSP does not have web space for me to have a URL so I will E-mail a couple Pic's to the people that responded to my questions. My motor looks similar to the 1913 model. It was run on the Mississippi river between Locks 10, 11, & 12 It spent most of its life in Ice Harbor in Dubuque,Iowa Thats where they use to build steam sternwheeler's years ago.

fireman57

Captain

That is amazing. I would never have believed that people have been having trouble with outboard engines since 1909.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Hope you don't mind if I post it tcwestee:<br /> Old Evinrude<br /><br />Looks like it's in great shape! Was there lettering on the other side?<br /><br />PS - That image hosting site ( http://xs.to/ ) is very simple to use and free. http://tinypic.com is also very simple, but your images are permanent and must be small.

oregonducker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW! That's just cool. Thanks for posting the picture Paul. If that's really a 1909 Evinrude in that condition it has to be worth a boat load. No pun intended.<br /><br />tcwestee,<br />If you haven't given that picture to the people at aomci.com you really should. They'll probably know what you have and what it's worth.

Paul Moir

Admiral

It looks like a 1-1/2" cap like Chinewalker described, and it clearly has a skeg, so it's not 1909. But with no lettering, it'll be an old one! How old is #780 anyway?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I don't think it's an Evinrude. It is likely one of the myriad of "clones" that came out after Ole's design became popular. Wisconsin, Joy Motor, Lockwood, and Ferro are just a few of the many brands that came (and usually went) in the 1910s and 1920s. Some were outright knockoffs of the Evinrude, and some had some cool and unique features, but most had similar basic design. <br /><br />Your motor has a horizontal exhaust can and an underwater exhaust tube, items the Evinrude didn't have. Not to say that someone may have added that at some point, but it looks too well done to be a backyard job (note the cast-in yoke that holds the lower end of the exhaust tube at the tilt bracket). Also, the shape of the clamp bracket is not Evinrude style. Our 1909 Evinrude has a slight wave to the forward edge of the clamps, and the bolt that affords tension to the steering tube is in the rear, while the one in the photo is in the front. Lots of other little things, too. If I had access to my Dad's library at the moment I could probably nail it for you. Maybe if I get a chance this evening I'll head over and see what I can find...<br /><br />Bottom line, is that your motor is a very nice piece, and is likely VERY rare. Definitely post your photo on the AOMCI.org site's Ask A Member board. Should draw some good responses there.... <br /><br />Paul/Mike, by the way, if you have Peter Hunn's newest book, the Outboard Handbook, there's a pic of our #780 in there... It's a 1909...<br /><br />- Scott

tcwestee

Cadet

Thank you Paul for the tip on Tiny Pics. I hope this works. This is another view of my motor, the Port side. As you can see the word "Evinrude" is stamped in the side. It is also stamped in the top of the cast fly wheel. I will also take your advice and post it on AOMCI.org Everybody here sure has gotton my attention. Thanks !!!<br /><br /> http://tinypic.com/2j73bm

fireman57

Captain

tcw the picture is too dark for me to see anything on it. Maybe it's time for a new monitor. I am amazed at this thread.

Paul Moir

Admiral

If you brighten it up, you can clearly read "Evinrude" followed by "Detachable Row Boat Motor". It looks embossed. But what's up with that exhaust can? Some sort of attempt at an expansion chamber? I suppose not, it looks like it was done before that technology.<br />Just for fun, does your flywheel match any of these:<br />Antique Outboarder cover, click here.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Definitely a very interesting piece. The powerhead is almost certainly Evinrude, but the lower end still has me confused, starting with the clamps and exhaust. Maybe some sort of "back door" motor? Maybe built from parts during WWI? Wartime shortages can lead to some interesting cobbling to create something out of nothing. <br /><br />Call me officially stumped... for the moment...<br /><br />- Scott

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

man those engines are really cool.i have never seen them.my father in law has 2 old clintons but they are not as cool.