black maxx 200

gregs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Did a search for the black maxx 200 and only came up with 3 post. Does this mean its a good motor. Considering buying a 86 ranger 392v 20 ftr. My consern is the age of the boat. Never owned a out bourd before. But I here of the lower unit,stator and power pack nightmares.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: black maxx 200

Are you buying it from a private individual? Ask about who did the maintenance, when was the last water pump, fuel pump, lower unit service and tune up done. If he dosnt know, I would be sceptical.<br /><br />Best thing is the maintenance it has recieved, also, was it used on a big lake in tournaments all its life every weekend where it could have been ran WOT for 1,000s of hours. Or was it a once a month bass boat?<br /><br />These engines are very durrable if maintained properly and parts are still easily accesable.

gregs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

He did say he had the carbs rebuilt and a new water pump. Does the water pump mean an impeller or is there more to it? With todays gas prices should I shy away from this big 200? Or can I run it around 45 and still be ok? I think I can get it for 3500 to 4000. Wont be sure till I lay the cash on him after a test drive.

KCLOST

Commander

Check Compression on all the cylinders... They should be within 10% of each other...<br /><br />Also after taking it out for a test run... I would drain the lower unit lube from the gear case and inspect it for water intrusion and or metal shavings...