Merc 1975 7.5

Hey there Can anyone tell me where I can find a carb for this motor? I bought the motor and What the guy did not tell me was the carb was missing. i have since found out that for government standards you can no longer get them because of the 2 stroke. Can anyhone help. Thanks

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Merc 1975 7.5

Try outboardexchange.com, you might get lucky.<br /><br />Dave..

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Well, the reason you can't find a new carb for this engine is that there are many parts for old mercs that just aren't availble any more. I doubt it has anything to do with gvt. standards. I could be wrong about #2, but I'm confident that #1 is the primary reason.<br /><br />Some websites to check are - mercruiserparts.com and oldmercs.com This will tell you if the complete carb assembly is availale. I'd be surprised though. You will need to know the year of your engine (found through serial number - look at maxrules.com for a chart for s/n and years).<br /><br />Now as for finding a carb - do some searching on the web or better yet, in your town for people who have old broken down mercs. Dealers, mechanics, etc. Often they have "boneyards" where you can scavange parts. Better yet, they have actual inventory of old stock new parts or used parts.<br /><br />If you find a used carb, you'll probably want to clean and/or rebuild it. Gasket and rebuild kits are probably available from the two sites I mentioned above or your local merc dealer.<br /><br />Good luck with the project!

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

PS: when you research the mercruiserparts.com and oldmercs.com sites to find out what parts are available for your '75 7.5, compare them to parts from a merc 110 (9.8). You might find that the carbs are the same - I believe the 7.5 and 9.8 shared many components in that era.

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

Check at a local marine recycler. There's one 5 mins from my house that has about 10 of the carb you want.<br />Eric