mariner 225 efi will not start

aaoliver

Cadet
1997 Mariner 225 EFI Magnum.<br />Good spark all cylinders.<br />Fuel: bulb pumped firm, gas getting to engine. Key firmly pushed in for choke. Good battery power (new). Turns over easily but absolutely no starting. <br />Thanks to all for any input. Good air, fuel, spark but no start. Leaning toward some fuel problem but exact problem unknown. All connections checked and secure. :(

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: mariner 225 efi will not start

Checked Compression?<br /><br />-andy

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

How do you know fule is getting to the cylinders? Have you tested the EFI system?<br />Did you perform a spark test?(Actually see the spark)<br /><br />I've you've got fuel, ignition and compression the engine you start.<br /><br />Perhaps your timing is way off, but I would still expect it to 'PoP' or at least try to start for a second or two. <br /><br />-andy

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it's fuel injected no need to push choke, as it does nothing. Turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump running. Turn key off Drain gas on fuel pump, under the cover on the starboard side, see condition of fuel, put drain plug back turn key on to see if it refills. If you have spark saftey lanyard (Kill switch) must be in place. Are plugs clean & they must be of correct type? Good Luck, Joe

aaoliver

Cadet

I've not tested the EFI, don't know how. Yes, I've checked spark to all cylinders and yes I physically saw the spark on all 6 cylinders. The timing shouldn't be off, no changes to make it occur and all is secure. I do not hear the fuel pump running with the switch on. I'll go out and drain the fuel pump as suggested if I can find the drain. Will get back on the success. Thanks again for the input so far.

aaoliver

Cadet

Okay, the fuel pump is working. I do hear a slow heartbeat of a sound when the key is on. The fuel pump refilled after draining.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is also a service port, (looks like a tire valve) you can hook a fuel presure gauge to & see what kind of presure you have. What is the condition of your gas, did the stuff you drained look good? You have a water seperating fuel filter on the port side of the engine check that. Also it might be helpful if we know the history of how this problem occured, if the engine was serviced or worked on, last time it ran, did this ever happen before? Good Luck, Joe

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Btw Your fuel pump should hum, that may be your problem.

aaoliver

Cadet

Definitely doesn't hum, it clicks or sounds like a slow heartbeat at best.... The fuel looks good but is old (year and a half) but was winterized properly (winterized for Dallas, TX). No previous problems, so no work done that could effect a change. I service it every Feb with new gaskets, sparkplugs, wires, fuel filters, etc (have two fuel filters, one on the motor and a seperate one in my gas locker. I'll check the pressure, sounds like the fuel pump may be bad if it is supposed to hummmmmmmmm. I'll take it apart and put it back together and see if that will do it (maybe it is sticky from lack of use, used it last on 4 July and 4 July time before.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

A 1 1/2 year old gas is considered old, even if it was stored with a fuel stabilizer. As I know it, fuel stabilizer saves fuel for ~ 9 months.<br /><br />-andy

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pump may be bad or gummed up. Gas is definately N.G. Do you have a manual, or can you get one, the library is a good place to borrow one free, you may need one for the fuel pump job, as I don't know your mechanical abilities, (not meaning anything bad by that) Just good to have a reference as your doing or testing. Good luck, Joe

aaoliver

Cadet

Thanks everyone, hope I can contribute "right back at ya".... I do have THE service manual, I will rebuild.

BW23

Seaman

Could be as simple as the "lanyard switch".<br /><br />My 225 cracnks over but will not start with the lanyard removed.