Warning alarm won't stop buzzing.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Motor: V6 200hp 88' carb, oil injection disengaged, no warning module on the port cylinder head.<br /><br />I just installed a new quicksilver wiring harness. The warning buzzer has a tan/blu and purple wire coming out of it. The tan/blu appears to come from the wiring harness that runs to the engine. However, I don't have the tan/blu wire ending anywhere at my console. For I use the tan wire for the temp gauge. When I turn the key to the "on" position (without the engine running) I get a constant buzzing. It continues when the engine is running, however the engine isn't overheating.<br /><br />On the port head there was a short tan wire, short tan/blk, a ground, and a long tan wire with a bullet connector which I connected to the wiring harness at the engine. This seems to be the temp sender, since it sets the gauge at ~140 degrees after 30-60secs of running (but I could bear the constant buzz for another sec).<br /><br />On the starboard head there is a tan/blu wire coming out. I tried jumping this wire to the tan/blu at key switch side of the harness but the buzzer keeps buzzing. And if I ground the tan/blu (at the key switch side of the harness) the buzz gets louder.<br /><br />IDEAS:<br />-The purple wire going through the buzzer is causing the buzzer to keep going off. I think the purple, at one time, was used with the lubalert system, which I not longer have.<br />- The tan/blu wires at the engine and at the harness must do something, maybe somehow incorporating them with the temp sender and/or temp gauge.<br />-I know sometimes a tan/blu on the key switch side of the harness is for a visual warning aid. But if it is, I should be able to tape it off and stop the buzzer. Which doesn't work. Also, I should be able to have the buzzer to go off when the engine is really overheating<br /><br />Please help, this buzzer is going to drive me nuts. But I want it to work.<br /><br />-andy

gss036

Commander
Re: Warning alarm won't stop buzzing.

Andy, don't have but a minute tonight, getting ready to leave. Try this,run the blk wire off the starboard cylinder overheat sender to the same terminal block that the tan/blu comes from. If the lube alert system were there, they would connect at the terminal. That same terminal block should have a purple wire coming off of the opposite side, independant of the tan/blu as it is a seperate circuit. It will also go into the bundle going to the dash. I can't find a diagram that shows if the wires divide when they enter the dash section.<br />The purple wire is a jumper for power and It should hook up on the Tach and then have jumpers from it to the other gauges.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Got it to work, tricky stuff though. Here it is: I took apart the engine side of the engine harness. the temp switch was connected to the yel/blk (enricher valve) and vise versa. Thus the tan/blu was grounding out at the terminal block for the enricher system. Rewired, buzzer stopped and the choke works. <br /><br />So the tan wire at the port head was the temp gauge and the tan/blu was the overheat switch. It sounds the warning alarm and if you want can also give the signal for the optional visual aid.<br /><br />-thanks for the walk through Gary.<br />andy

gss036

Commander

Good show, thanks for letting us know how it turned out. It is always good to know that it was fixed.