Small crack on crankcase cover

82RAYSONCRAFT

Seaman
I have a 82 225 black max and recently noticed fuel residue around the starboard side of engine. Thiking it was a carb issue started to proceed with my usual troublshooting proceedures. Wow! found a small crack in the crankcase cover at cylinder #3 spitting out fuel when running. <br />Compresion test seem fine. 143 - 148 on all cyl.<br />What are my options.<br /><br />Any advise would be greatly accepted!

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Small crack on crankcase cover

You could go to the trouble of, finding a half, they are "supposed to be matched" or you could clean & JP weld the crack

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I recently tried JB weld for the first time. I had developed a leak about 1/2 the diameter of a pencil in my radiator on my delivery van. Of course we're talking hot water under pressure. I didn't really have a lot of hope that it would work but figured I didn't have anything to lose. So, I mixed it up, spread it on, let it sit overnight and no more leak. Nada.<br /><br />Dave..

82RAYSONCRAFT

Seaman

I thought of JB weld as I have used it quite often on other applications at work. <br />My other thoughts are Tig welding it, have welder in my garage, from the outside of the case as it wouldn't reqiure dissasebly of the top end. My only concerns would be welding on the case with fuel in the crank area of the engine. <br /><br />Any thought's?

82RAYSONCRAFT

Seaman

Well after some research and more thoughts have decided to use Devcon Aluminum Epoxy filler as a first choice. Have used it in the past on some pump housings and valves with great succsess. <br /><br />I'll let you know how it turn's out<br /><br />Thanks for your input and advise.