1986 115 mariner wont idle

kfoulds

Recruit
i just bought a 18 foot seasport center console. it has a 86 115 mariner outboard that runs strong in forward but wont run in idle or reverse. i just recived the boat this week so i havent really had a chance to dig into it to see what might be causeing it, so any help as to where i should start and any ideas on what to check first would be greatly appriacted.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: 1986 115 mariner wont idle

How long did the boat sit before you bought it?<br /><br />Probably needs all the things listed in the Waking a sleeping outboard FAQ.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

When you say, "it doesn't go in reverse" I am assuming you mean it stalls out when trying to go in reverse.<br /><br />Well if the engine has been laid up for awhile, you should do a carb cleaner and reassemble with new gaskets. This should be your fist step.<br /><br />That being said, older mercs sometimes don't like to idle. They like to be run like raped apes. It takes alot "fine tuning", but I'm sure we can get that kitten to purr.<br /><br />How are your plugs? Worn, fouled?<br />How's the compression?<br /><br />-andy

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

What's the minimum idle RPM's you can survive on without it stalling out.