What did I buy?

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well for some unknown reason, my evil twin towed home a 72 glastron today. I know that cause the title says so. Problem is the motor. It is a 40hp. MARINER. Got 2 carbs, 4 cylinders, had oil injection( disconnected) and tilt/trim. A sticker on the leg says 40 magnum. Have not been able to trim the motor up yet but am unable to find any numbers to i.d. the thing. Where should i look? Were these things made by scott,force,merc? Thanks in advance, fred

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: What did I buy?

It's a later model 44 ci Merc inline four.<br /><br />Really good outboard with a 50 year track record.<br /><br />-W

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Mariner Magnum: superb engine, just sold mine after several years of very reliable service. Very good at starting and good band of power. Stator failed but that was an easy fix and not too expensive. The engine is probably worth loads more than the boat :D

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the response guys. Was surprised when I popped the hood and found it was a 4 cyl. should run pretty smothe. Started right up but I have to work on the tilt/trim. Where are the i.d. numbers so i can get a manual for it? thanks fred

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

The id numbers should be on the transom bracket: left hand side if I remember correctly.<br />Tilt and trim might just be fluid level low or faulty switch?

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks again, now i know what book to get. Took the trim motor out got it to spin but it would only draw 4 amps. Can the elect motor be bought seperate and dropped in the housing? fred