oil injection 1988 black max 150hp

dak847

Cadet
i just bought a boat with a 1988 150 hp black max motor when i put the key in the ignition there is no alarm sound so im affraid the oil injection does not work is there a test to locate the buzzer a test to see if the buzzer works or a test to see if the pump is sending power to the buzzer i also herd that the lines need to be bled how do i do that and how do i verifie i did i correctly. could the buzzer be in the trottle

Coolmaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: oil injection 1988 black max 150hp

The alarm test sound is heard when you turn the key on. <br /><br />Fill the oil reservoir on the motor, tighten the cap (not too tight or it will crack), fill the tank in the bilge. Tighten cap, it will bleed its self. I usually add oil to the gas when doing this, so that I know it has lube starting up....

dak847

Cadet

thanks for the info. there is a clear tube coming from the oil pump that is teed to the incoming fuel line. should this tube be filled with oil when the motor runs at an adle with ear muffs. any idea how to hunt down the buzzer and fix. the owners manual for the motor shows the buzzer in the throttle. is there a way to check the sensor at the oil pump. does the sensor work on oil preasure or does it indicate the gear rotation. im new to outboard motors and a tool and die maker so im alittle anal learning how to fix.<br /><br />any info how the system works would be great<br /><br />p.s. im going to water test the boat today for the first time tonight <br /><br />thanks

gss036

Commander

Do a search on this site, there are many threads which deal with your concerns. Run premix (50-1) until you know for sure it is working.<br />The alarm buzzer also works w/the overheat alarm.<br />When you turn your key to the on position, just before starting you should get 3 short beeps.

dak847

Cadet

i get no beep at all and have not ran the motor long enough to check overheating going out to night for the first time<br /><br /><br />thanks doug

Coolmaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, the clear pipe should have oil in it. <br />The buzzer is in the control box.<br />There is a motion sensor on the oil pump, a level sensor in the cap on the on engine reservoir.<br />Make sure that you have a strong stream of water from the telltale, until you get the buzzer going.

blood_drifter1

Recruit

I just fixed somewhat of the same thing but mine had a beep beep that was fast. I was checking everything from oil to heat , On the starboard side of the motor there is a small black box with 5 or 6 wires coming out of it, 1 is from the temp(brown)another is purple (12 volt supply) and a green (switch box) then these a blue/white and white to oil pump and a black and blue going to remote oil tank. OK the 3 black wires all need to be grounded to the motor (tank,pump,black box) check that. In my case the black box went bad and went to ground so it went to alarm i took my blacks off block and the alarmed stopped and i had to order a black box . Maybe there is a loose or broke wire in one of them 5 or 6 wires check that.

dak847

Cadet

well what i thought was a good deal of a boat turns out im going to need $900 to fix carbs (rebuilt),fuel pump, tune up and a few other items and that was the good news. the transome needs work, don't know how much yet. a fiber glass guy has got to look at it. engine guy said maybe 1500. he just told me over the phone so im not sure what the other items are. i will get more information sunday, does this sound like alot of cash for the engine work or the glass work. the fiber glass was not cracked or damaged in anyway. how i noticed there might be a problem was when i installed the transome jack i noticed the jack plate moving away from the transome i figured it was due to loose bolts how wrong was i