90hp merc starts but won't restart

etienne

Cadet
I have a 1988 90hp 3 cyl Merc & it has been running great for many years up until the last 2 outings. It starts & runs fine, after fishing for 20 minutes I go to restart & it won't take. Battery is fine, cranks well, seems like it's not getting fuel & yet it does on initial startup.Absolutely no hesitation while running (regardless of how long) to indicate fuel filter problems. Any suggestions?<br /><br />Etienne

Bob H.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 90hp merc starts but won't restart

Check your floats. My 87-80hp did the same thing. Had to leave the throttle wide open for about 5 minutes every time I shut it down and let the gas evaporate.

etienne

Cadet

I think you may be on to something. I had to stop halfway thru wintering last fall & didn't get the carbs properly cleaned. I'm hoping some carb cleaner would do the trick. Thanks for the speedy reply.<br /><br />Etienne

etienne

Cadet

Nice call, cleaned the carbs, worked like a charm! Many thanks.

Bob H.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad it worked out for you.

I have a similar problem, I keep my boat on a trailer and use it mostly on the weekend. Start her up and go for an hour with no problems. After i stop, take the kids swimming, eat lunch for about an hour and then get back in to go home, it runs rough and plug 2 and 3 seem wet and oily.<br />Do i have to take the carbs apart for cleaning or is there a recomended cleaner i can spray in the carbs or add to the fuel?<br /><br />JM

etienne

Cadet

JM, I'll let someone more qualified answer if the carbs are the nature of your problem. If cleaning is the answer, I started by using an aerosal carb cleaner that you spray in while the engine is running. It's made by Motomaster for a Canadian Auto chain, I'm sure most retail stores carry something similar. It helped but it wasn't 100% effective in removing the varnish so I ended up taking the carbs apart completely & soaking them in liquid carb cleaner called Kleen Flow available from NAPA or any specialty automotive store. If you go this route please be careful, this stuff is pretty nasty re skin, eye & breathing irration. Follow the cautions, store safely & don't let kids near it. Make sure all plastic & rubber is removed from the carbs before soaking ... metal only.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

I would do the cleaning that involves soaking the carbs in Kleen Flow. Then blow out all passages with compressed air, and dry eventhing with the compressed air. Reassemble with new gaskets and you are good to go.<br /><br />-andy

Clams Canino

Commander

You can do a very effective carb cleaning with just the little red hose on the spray can stuff. <br /><br />You do have to remove the carbs then, float cover and float, the idle screw and the main jet cover. You also need to think about what to squirt where to make it come out where2. :) <br /><br />-W