Bent prop shaft

d.tro

Seaman Apprentice
I hit a submerged log last weekend and put a small ding in the prop. I went out a purchased a new one (I needed a spare anyways). After I replaced it I gave it a spin (by hand) and noticed a slight wobble. Close inspection revealed a bend in the shaft.<br />Realistically how difficult is it to replace? I haven't noticed any seals leaking. I haven't had it out since the incident.<br />I am on my way out the door to buy a repair manual, but could someone tell me what this all involves? Do I need to drop the lower unit?<br /><br />FYI<br />'89 Merc 25hp

Laddies

Banned
Re: Bent prop shaft

You can leave the unit on, remove the carrier and replace the shaft

d.tro

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks laddies,<br />The manual doesn't seem to be a whole lot of help. Basically say what you told me :D <br />Here's my question:<br />How do you remove the carrier assembly. I believe I am looking at it. Looks like a large castle type nut? Does it screw off? Pull off?<br />Maybe someone could walk me through this :confused:

Laddies

Banned

Yes it just unscrews merc has a tool for the job, on some early engines you can use the front thrust hub from the prop by removing the stainless ring, the turning it over it would become the spanner, on later engines that was discontiued, If you have Adobe and need to see a manual go to type into the address bar www.biggerhammer.net/mercury/factory_manuals/ it won't work just useing the tranfer by prompting it I don't know why, but will by typing it in--Bob

ehenry

Commander

Laddie, look at your address....you've left something out.

d.tro

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, so I can just uscrew it like a nut? Do I need to hold the shaft while I unscrew it (does the shaft spin with it)? After the "nut" is off then the shaft pulls out? Anything I need to worry about coming out...springs, gears, etc?<br />Thanks much.

Laddies

Banned

Thanks E.F. I edited and it works, I am so stupid when it comes to this damn computer, it makes me sick but with my kids around and help from people like you I'm trying to figure it out---Thanks Bob

d.tro

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone know where I can find one of these tools? The tool number is 91-93843--1. Or any tips on getting this thing off. I tried using the thrust hub assembly and a vise grip and ended up breaking off one of the "lips" on the carrier :mad: And Yes I do realize that it's left hand thread :D <br />Gosh, what happens if all the lips break off?<br />Thanks

Laddies

Banned

About the only place to get one is thru a mercury dealer and it would probably be cheaper to just have him remove it

d.tro

Seaman Apprentice

Really seems to be stuck on there. I'm about to give up, any idea what it cost (labor) to replace this?

Laddies

Banned

Flat rate from Merc is .8 of an hour some books go as high as 1 hour with a tab broken it could be more--Bob