Oil Usage

tntgrady

Recruit
I have a 1989 Mercury 80 horse with oil injection. I am wondering how much oil these things should use, I have run about 6 or 7 tank fulls of gas(6 gal) through it and the oil tank only has dropped 1/3 of the way down. The tank I have is the one mounted under the cowling, I would guess it probably holds about a gallon. Is there a procedure for checking the amount of oil that the pump is injecting in? I don't get any alarms but it seems like it should be using more oil.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Oil Usage

A proper mixture is 50:1 or.. 25 gallons of fuel to 1/2 gallon (64 ounces) of oil.<br /><br />-Andy

tntgrady

Recruit

Are these systems designed to pump 50:1 all the time or is it less at idle. If it is 50:1 all the time is sounds like I am not getting enough oil. Any ideas of what to check first? pump?

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

at idle it runs at 100:1, At WOT it runs at 50:1<br /><br />If there is more than a quart of oil remaining in the reservoir after about an hour of full throttle operation, the problem is more than likely the oil injection pump or some form of restriction in the oil lines or at the oil tank itself.<br /><br />What are the condition of the sparkplugs?

tntgrady

Recruit

The plugs look fine, they have just a small almount of un-burt oil on them but not fowled out.