Eska 5hps? Model #500, year and other info?

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All, I just bought two motors. I think they were both made by Eska. The one with the plate is a Eska model #500, serial number 2249 I think those are the numbers anyway. I know the model # is right, but the serial is kinda worn away. The other motor says its a Ted Williams, I think its either a 5.5hp, or a 7.5hp. Can anyone give me some info, oil mix, if they're supposed to pump water, etc. The Ted Williams looks a lot like this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=4537222859&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT <br /><br />Thanks!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Eska 5hps? Model #500, year and other info?

Jay, I had a 5HP Eska motor and a Ted William's model 7.5HP motor in about '72 or so. My Ted Williams motor looked nearly identical to the picture you included. I do not remember the gas/oil mix ratio, however that info is probably available on the web. I believe they were both air cooled heads with water cooled lower units (no water pumps). If you take the white plastic cover off, you should see the cooling fins on the cylinder. They were basically converted 2 cycle lawnmower engines, ikely made by Techumpsa. The fuel pump was a balloon-like device which was mounted in the crankcase, under the carb mounting flange. If it ruptures, raw fuel flows into the crankcase, flooding the motor. I think the 7.5HP motor had neutral and forward gears. It would pivot 360 degrees for reverse. The 5HP was direct drive.

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Chris. Yes, the 7.5 does have neutral and drive, and the 5 is direct drive. They both run, (I have them running on synthentic oil right now.) Could anyone tell me the ratios, I can't find anything on them. Chris, did you mean your was a '72 or that you had it in '72? The 7.5 looks about from the '70s era. Thanks.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Hard to say for both. They changed the mix a few times in the '70s for the 7.5hp. 24:1 should be safe though. The 5hp Eska needs 16:1 if it's from the '60s or very early '70s. The only references I can find to an Eska 500 is in the early-mid 60s (all 5hp though).<br />Naturally they'll both need TC rather than TC-W3 oil given that they're air-cooled engines.

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Paul. Thats a big help. I think I'll wait 'til my next load of motors and list them in the Nickel to see if I can sell them, otherwise they are going for good prices on ebay. I paid $40 for both, so I should be able to get my $$ worth. I might just keep one though, can never have too many outboards right? ;)