Trim support clip? Why won't it work?

ZmOz

Captain
It's been two years since I've had to tow my boat anywhere, so I haven't had to use the clip that holds the trim on my inline 6 up. I remember before I had to trim the motor all the way up, then lift it a little more to put in the clip.<br /><br />Well, now I can't get the clip down no matter what. I trim the motor all the way up, but the clip still isn't close to going in.<br /><br />
trimclip.jpg
<br /><br />Am I doing something wrong? Why won't it go in anymore? It's like the motor isn't trimmed up far enough, but it's at the top...

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Trim support clip? Why won't it work?

Did you try rotating the clip right around, and coming in from the other side?<br /><br />If that doesn't work, try to lift up on the motor by hand to see if it will go further up. Maybe there's a trim adjustment to make it go further or it is binding on the strap?

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by AMD Rules:<br /> Did you try rotating the clip right around, and coming in from the other side?<br />
Thought about that, but there's a little bump on the mid that keeps it from going all the way around. I've tried lifting it as high as I can by hand, it't still a long way from going in.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

I see that bump in your pic now.<br />Powerhead hitting the splashwell or steering linkage binding?<br />Sure the strap underneath isnt binding?<br />Tossing out ideas :) <br />On my motor I had to bring that clip in from the back side instead of over the top like you have it (in addition to lifting by hand due to leaky rams).

ZmOz

Captain

It does appear that the strap is holding the motor from going any higher when I lift it by hand, but even if the strap wasn't there I doubt it would go much higher...and it clipped fine before with the strap. :confused: <br /><br />What exactly is the strap for, anyway?

timmathis

Lieutenant

ZmOZ, On mine you have to lift it real hard and it will turn that little bit more. Dont hurt your back though!!! Tim

timmathis

Lieutenant

Zm, You know it may be due to that strap shrinking? Just old and dry??? maybe?<br />I'm going to try a little ( no a lot) of oil on it and see if that helps any. Tim

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Tim Mathis:<br /> Zm, You know it may be due to that strap shrinking? Just old and dry???
That's possible, I guess, but if it was going to shrink, I would have thought it would do that before 30 years had gone by...<br /><br />Would it be a horrible idea to cut the strap off?

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Is there a cut-out limit switch on those hydraulics, that may be set too low and is cutting off the pump too soon?<br /><br />That strap looks like a safety device to me (aka the 'tilt stop' strap). May save you from damaging the transom bracket or stuffing your newly rebuilt powerhead through the splashwell deck.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by AMD Rules:<br /> Is there a cut-out limit switch on those hydraulics
I think there's supposed to be, but mine doesn't work. When it gets to the top the pump starts making a different noise wich obviously means the cylinders are in all the way. Even if I lift it as high as I can with the reverse lock knob unscrewed, the clip won't go in.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Mine was hard last year. Even harder to get it to go this year?? May just take 30 years to shrink? Tim