cleaning discoloration from hull

drfish18

Seaman
My center console was recently pulled out of the water for storage. I noticed a yellow discoloration at the water line. I would like to know the best cleaning solution to remove this yellow discoloration

salty87

Commander
Re: cleaning discoloration from hull

there are a few to choose from, i like toilet bowl cleaner. its really just a mild acid so rinse it off your skin and trailer. let it sit for a few mins and scrub with a long handled brush for best results. rinse it off real good.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Easy on Easy off barnone is the best stuff to remove growth,rust,etc....It'll take that right off. It's rough on the hands though so u may want to use gloves. Also don't breathe it in.....u won't like it. I swear by it however...<br />Here is something similar....they are all pretty much the same.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...=757041566&view_id=39960&search_type=category

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

how about Westley white wall bleach?available at Wall mart.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My favorite is ZAP. Like Barkeep's Friend and many others, it is an oxalic acid preparation, so follow directions exactly.<br /><br />BTW, don't report a post that doesn't need moderator intervention. If you need more info, reply that you need more info.<br /><br />Good luck, and welcome to iboats. :)

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with salty87, toilet bowl cleaner is cheap and it works great! Muriatic acid can be purchased at the local hardware store. People use it to adjust the PH in the swimming pool. Anyway, it works great too. It's badass stuff so use protection. You may want to dilute first as a little goes a long way.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Try a MR Clean Magic Sponge. It's a little more work, but it won't burn your skin off or cause cancer. ;) Our computer tech said he cleaned the scumline on his 34' sailboat with a single sponge. Removes scuffmarks from the deck too.<br /><br />spots

bounder4465

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are several excellent acid based cleaners (example; Zing) for scum line cleaning. Most are a hydrochloric acid solution with a detergent base. As listed above you can use muriatic acid from a hardware store if you can stand the odor. Although this stuff will work wonders on gelcoat, it will also burn your skin, eat metal painted or galvanized, and mark concrete.

drfish18

Seaman

So many solutions and answers. I will try them all. Thank you for the input.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I have always used either On-Off made by Marykate or FSR(fiberglass stain remover)which is a blue gel that comes in a plastic jar.Both work instantly on the stain that you describe.What I have recently began using is The cheapest Walmart toilet bowl cleaner at .99cents a bottle.For the stain that you want to remove and for the type of maderate fouling that I get, the toilet bowl cleaner works as good as any of them.It is an acid so you should be careful when using it and if the boat is on a trailer make sure to wet the trailer first with water and rinse it immediately if the cleaner gets on it.Charlie

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

By the way ,the best way to prevent this is to bring your bootstripe up a bit so the waterline is a little higher than it currently is AND make sure to first polish and then wax the hull at the water line.This will slow or prevent the growth of the fouling.It is actually alive and living in the pores of the gelcoat and grows upwards on the hull.Charlie