What are good Boat Building Books

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Want to put a few books on my Christmas list. I'm intereseted in boat building, mostly small craft, and some books on boating history, how it developed into an American pastime, etc.<br /><br />Any recommendations?

Laddies

Banned
Re: What are good Boat Building Books

You might buy a Wooden Boat magazine and ck the adds they have some listed and West Systems has a good book on building

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think it depends on what materials you want to use. There are many good ones for wood as well as fiberglass.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Another vodte for for the West Systems' book ("The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction")! Take the information and apply it to other brands of epoxy to save some $. :) <br />Although it's totally out of date and is mostly about yachts, Skene's Elements of Yacht Design is a classic. I find it a handy reference and you can impress your uppity yachting friends & coworkers.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Web search--------boat building------- Read all the sites. Me, the know it all. Found a lot of usefull information. Search boat kits and read their info. Glen-L is a good one.

eboylan3

Cadet

Any book by John Gardner (Building Classic Small Craft, The Dory Book, More Building Classic Small Craft, Classic Small Craft You Can Build, Wooden Boats To Build And Use) should fill the bill if you're interested in small craft. Many of those books are available here on iboat. Zack Taylor's Successful Waterfowling has some simple small designs out of plywood if your library can get it (when you read it, just be aware some editions have a major mis-pagination issue). Phil Bolger pioneered (at least as far as I know) stitch-and-glue construction of small boats and has some (shall we say?) unusual designs to his credit. For traditional plank-on-frame in larger boats see David C. "Bud" McIntosh's How to Build a Wooden Boat, Howard I. Chapelle's Boatbuilding, and perhaps Robert M. Steward's Boatbuilding Manual. I found Ferenc Mate's From a Bare Hull ("A complete handbook on how to...finish out a fiberglass hull and deck. Covers every aspect of fiberglassing, woodworking, electrical, plumbing and hardware installation.") on sailboats to be useful and interesting reading. He has other books out there also. WoodenBoat magazine almost always has some history in each issue and may be available at your local used book reseller. And go to St. Michaels, Maryland's marine museum for some great examples of early american small craft. Have fun.