115hp outboard constant alarm problem

avernier

Recruit
Hi there, just found this board and figured you people would be able to help me with this problem I have with my motor.<br /><br />I am getting a constant alarm when I start up the motor, it doesn't seem to be running hot, there's plenty of oil in the resevoir, and the motor doesn't sound like it's having any problems.<br /><br />Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Laddies

Banned
Re: 115hp outboard constant alarm problem

A constant alarm is for overheat try unpluging it to see if it goes away, if it don't you have a bad oil module

papasmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try unplugging the two blue wires from the bottom of the oil tank. You can trace them to two bullet connectors.

Drybo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 91 115 with integrated oil tank had a float in the tank that caused constant beep with key on ,even not running. It was the float, it gets old and won't float. Worth checking if your motor is similar. Take oil tank off turn upside down, if alarm stops it is float,can't fix, must buy new tank . in '91 model float was built into tank, $ 56.00 plus tax...Wasted $90 on module, was about to replace oil pump, changed temp sensor in cyl head, Was afraid to run if overheating. My 2 cents, <br />RUN 50 to 1 PREMIX TILL YOU FIGURE THIS OUT.<br />MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT OVERHEATING.(water from tell tell? More will follow from the experts here<br />when they park their boats.

papasmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is not that the float gets old and sinks, the fiber magnet on the bottom of the float comes off and sinks, causing the alarm to sound. I have fixed quite a few of the tanks by cleaning the float and reattaching the magnet with a good epoxy.

fishkisser99

Cadet

There are two alarm signals for these, as Laddies mentioned: an intermitant "beep-beep-beep" indicates a problem with the oil level and/or tank (low oil warning). A continuous "beeeeeeeep" indicates overheating. The horn will sound for a short spell at start-up to indicate that it is working properly. <br /><br />If you are getting a continuous alarm, even at start-up before the engine has had a chance to warm up, you might try a couple of things. First, disconnect the temp sensor from the warning module and start the engine. If the horn still sounds continuously, the warning module is at fault. Replace and retest. If the horn does not sound, chances are the temp sensor is at fault. Replace and retest.<br /><br />If your continuous overheat alarm is sounding only after the engine is warm, then...well...welcome aboard! I've done the thermostat, pick-up tube, impeller/plate/housing, &c. and still get an alarm every now and then. Is your engine peeing adequately? Does the horn turn off when you cover the pee hole with your finger? How long has it been since a fresh impeller was put in?<br /><br />Good luck!