second hand solenoids

JimmySea

Recruit
Ive got a mid 80's mercury thunderbold 70hp outboard, and the starting solenoid is sticking when the engine gets hot. <br /><br />ive been told by a marine engineer that it will be extremly difficult to get a solenoid orderd due to the age of the engine and to see if i could get a second hand one.<br /><br />Does anyone have any advice, such as where i could look for a second hand one, or would one do off a motorbike or car engine?<br /><br />Or is there anything i can do with the one ive got to stop it from sticking when the engine is hot?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: second hand solenoids

Solenoids are sealed and not repairable. Take a voltmeter with you and the next time it sticks, see if there is voltage on the small Start terminal (the terminal that has 12V on it when you turn the key to start. If it has 12V on it with the key in the run position, there is a wiring problem, not a solenoid problem. If the wiring is ok, you might check your local marine dealers for a used one, but you might have better luck at an auto supply store or auto salvage yard. Some Ford auto solenoids can be used although you might need to make a slight mounting bracket change. Electricity is electricity and it cares not whether the device it passes through was for a car or boat.

Laddies

Banned

It's a small size so it might be hard to find a auto one that will fit in the spot, but all you need to remember in your search is the second small stud is not for ign. bypass but for ground the base is not the ground like most auto solinoids

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wouldn't a later model solenoid work? They still use solenoids on later years.<br />It might need a different mount fabricated

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Jimmy, I bought one for my '77 Merc a couple of months ago. The dealer had it in stock, for less than $20, not even a raised eyebrow. They are also avalable at discount marine stores (West, BoatUS...) They are a common item made by sierra. if you use an auto starter, it will rust to sh** because it not stainless steel. Also, I do not know if the auto brands are sealed to prevent sparks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The poster is in England so sources are probably more limited. If rust is a problem, give it a shiny coat of paint.