2 vs. 3 ring pistons

Engrguy

Recruit
I'm repairing a '75 Mercury 1150(IL6)ser #4113354 after burning piston #1. Went online and ordered a standard 3-ring inline piston to replaced the melted one. I was dissappointed when I recieved the order yesterday and found the company had substituted the 3 ring piston I ordered with a 2 ring piston. Is a considered an acceptable substitution? I don't want to use this part if it's going to cause problems.

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2 vs. 3 ring pistons

Yep it will work fine :) My original pistons were 2 ring and my replacements were 3 ring. The guys who race, often leave the 3rd ring off...<br />Jon

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Engrguy, I have mixed the two kinds of pistons in my inline 6. Note: the two ring piston rings are trapazoidal, and have a perticular side up.

Clams Canino

Commander

It'll work fine.... but there are aftermarket 3 ring pistons just as good available for $80 - $99. Why anyone would buy "Genuine Brunswick" beats the hell out of me. :) <br /><br />-W

Engrguy

Recruit

Clams...I'm with you, I have no issue with the aftermarket pistons. I went to 3 or 4 different websites before I came across the 3 ring piston which I went ahead and ordered. During a follow-up conversation with the company, it turns out their website had not been updated to show the substitution yet. I prefered a 3 ring, but if a 2 will work, I'll go with it. <br /><br />Thanks