Mercury motors from Canada

sbeausol

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have any information on the special Mercury program on outboards? Supposedly they send new motors every year to fishing camps in Canada. In return older motors are returned to Mercury, serviced and sold to dealers who then sell them to consumers (I think iboats even has some). <br /><br />The motors tend to be fairly new (less than 10 years old). I was wondering if these motors get used hard and may not be such a good deal. I am interested in the lower hp models (15-25 hp). <br /><br />Any input is appreciated.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury motors from Canada

I would stick with motors that are 1-2 years old.<br />These motors get used alot. They could easily get 300-500 hours of use in a season, mostly trolling.<br />I have been to several Canadian fish camps and would have to say that the owners are so busy and probably give little thought to motor maintenance. That is why they enter the program and get new motors every year.<br /><br />That being said, I think the 1-2 year old motors are still a good deal, and we have bought 2 of them. I don't think I would buy a 10 year old motor from the program though.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

They go elsewhere too, Disneyland, etc. Some are used a lot, some see little use at all. Once they're returned, Merc goes through them (and/or contracts out) and offers them for sale. Many are sold right here at iboats. I ran into a problem with one, but Merc accomodated. It had a prototype ignition on it and the ones that made it onto regular production didn't fit. They sent an up-to-date system and covered installation as well. The program helps the company test them before coming to market to work the bugs out. They use regular production motors as well.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't know about the Mercs, but a couple of years back iboats got a bunch of Suzuki DF70s from Canadian camps for excellent prices.<br /><br />Many of my friends bought them to put on 17' Boston Whalers and have been very happy with them.<br /><br />My own observations of camp engines is that they are very carefully maintained. It is a real pain to have to go out on a bazillion acre lake with a thousand islands looking for someone who has not returned to camp at the expected time.<br /><br />As far as hard usage and abuse goes, outboards are designed and built with that sort of life in mind. Wouldn't bother me a bit if well maintained.