Engine draw on Battery

JCH55

Seaman Apprentice
1994 40 HP Mariner ( 4Cyl) with Electric start Commander with trim/tilt.<br /><br />Once engine is running (and nothing else running), is there a draw on the battery??<br /><br />Is there a draw on battery while running wide open??<br /><br />I have a blown voltage regulator and am thinking of bypassing it. Anyone see anything wrong with this?? It's on a pontoon and I mostly only use the battery for starting.

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Engine draw on Battery

The motor does not draw any power from the battery once it is started. Technically it can run without the battery but you will burn out any rectifiers and/or regulators.<br />I wasn't aware that the 40's came equipped with regulators ? Is it an aftermarket addition ? Don't see anything wrong with bypassing a regulator as long as you are aware that the output voltage could run as high as 17volts. A good quality MARINE battery is a must. Automotive batteries will not tolerate the high voltage for long.

JCH55

Seaman Apprentice

Rod,<br />The electric start 40's with a 16 amp stator came with voltage regulators. The 40's with a 9 amp stator came with a rectifier.<br />If I disconnect the VR, it doesn't make sense to me that 17 volts will be going to the battery. It is my understanding that the 2 yellow wires coming off the stator and going into the VR provide the voltage that is then regulated by the VR and output to the battery through the solenoid via red wires. Therefore, if I terminate the yellow wires, in my mind there should not be voltage going to the battery.<br />Rod, does this make sense, or is there another source that would be sending 17 volts to the battery.<br />Thanks,<br />JCH

Moody Blue

Captain

My mistake, I see that different stators were available for that motor. If you disconnect the yellow wires from the stator you will indeed have no output to the battery. What I am not certain of is what the affect on the stator would be, if any, if it is open circuited. Perhaps someone else can offer more concrete advise.

Moody Blue

Captain

My mistake, I see that different stators were available for that motor. If you disconnect the yellow wires from the stator you will indeed have no output to the battery. What I am not certain of is what the affect on the stator would be, if any, if it is open circuited. Perhaps someone else can offer more concrete advise.

Moody Blue

Captain