1970s Mercury 402 40hp

youngscot

Recruit
Hi guys im at my wits' end<br /><br />Bought an outboard unseen (altho i have seen footage of it working within the last month) and we cant get it started!<br />I know nothing about outboards and ive done the searches and looked everywhere i can think of. someone please help!<br /><br />To summarise...<br />we are (i believe) using the correct fuel mix (50:1) and priming the carburettor before trying to start. however, the engine seems to be stuck in gear- completely unable to move it into neutral and it hasnt turned over once since i got it. does it need to be in neutral? how can i change it when it seems stuck?

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1970s Mercury 402 40hp

make sure engine is lowered(not tilted). Yes, it is supposed to be in neutral to start, DEFINITELY. It has a lock out in the gearshifter which makes it difficult to move to neutral with throttle open. You may have to remove engine cover and close throttle to move shifter to neutral. If it has compression and spark and fuel it should crank. Alot of engines can not be tilted forward unless they are in forward gear. Make sure idle(warm up throttle) leaver is down. It should shift to neutral easily. If in neutral and battery is correctly connected it should crank with no problem.

DutchMerc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1970s Mercury 402 40hp

Check in what gear it is in by turning th prop by hand. If it is locked in only one direction, it is in forward, if locked in two directions, it's in reverse. If the prop runs free, and the motor doesn't, take out the sparkplugs and try again. If it doesn't turn over without the plugs, you might have a problem.....::eek:
Try to change the gears when turning the prop (no cable attached) this should go easy. (make sure the lock on the tilt-shaft is properly secured)