92 / 93 merc 115-cranks but not starting HELP

ok a few months ago i bought the motor. i watched the guy start her on a stand and she ran strong. beenin storage 6 months...........<br /><br />NOW, i hooked it up to my new remote control and it cranks but it will NOT start. In fact it will not even fire at all. <br /><br />1. I doubt it is fuel...I even shot a ton of starter fluid and no fire<br />2. the compression is good<br />i think it is an electrical issue. i could swear that on one plug, when i took her out and shorted it to ground i got a spark when i FIRST cranked her, i could swear that it fired for a second but nothing after that.<br /><br />i dunno. it started in a click 6 months ago. its ither something REALLY stupid or an electrical issue. HELP any ideas?<br /><br />ps whats the deal with the system? if i have 12v positive connected to the s solenoid, then there is another poston the starter solenoid that goes back through the remote and if its being started that brings 12 to the OTHER post which energizes the solenoid and allows 12v to get to the starter. BUT, how does this shut off? i know that on a car, one position or "on" on the ignition switch brings the 12v to the coil which allows spark. the "start" only turns the starter. when you shut off the key to "off" your cutting the 12v to the coil and the engine dies. here it is different

north40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 92 / 93 merc 115-cranks but not starting HELP

Check your kill switch.

IBFishing

Seaman

Originally posted by indicafilms666:<br /> <br />1. I doubt it is fuel...I even shot a ton of starter fluid and no fire<br />
DO NOT USE STARTER FLUID!! It does not have lubricating oil required for a 2-stroke engine. If you have to spray something through the carbs, use a squirt bottle with pre-mix in it.<br /><br />Make sure everything that is supposed to have power, has power with key on.

i used starter fluid just to see if id get an OOMPH upon start up to indicate that there was some kind of spark, but never an ooomph or a cough.<br /><br />thanks for the help<br /><br /><br />today i disconnected the remote and the kill circuit and tried starting it by jumping the starter solenoid but its the same thing. my tilt motor doesnt work either, and that was working 6 months ago. this is so disapointing

i dont have a spark tester but i dont think i need one being that i can see there is no spark.<br /><br />dumb question.... i jerry rigged an old cruddy negative ground cable from batt to engine. i am assuming that even though the cable is old and rusted (i scotch-brighted it to look semi shiney....) this could not cause a ground problem SINCE the stater motor is cranking nicely, right? i mean if the stater is 100% then the engine should have a good overall ground.<br /><br />anyway, what would be the most likely culprit for a condition where all 4 cylinders have no sparK

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Just guessing....<br /><br />Sounds like you may have something inadvertently grounded. kill switch, tilt twitch, key switch?<br /><br />Is that "new" remote control campatible with your motor? Any wires not connected?<br /><br />Did you hook up battery cables backwards at some point, even if only for a moment?

it is possible that i accidently placed a positive jumper on the negative side for a second or 2. but, it was doing all this before that.<br /><br />right now, to eliminate the harness/remote i have it disconnected and im cranking by bypassing the starter solenoid. i figure this should eliminate the harness/remote problem if there a problem<br /><br />i dunno, i keep thinking the same thing... its something STUPID, something is grounded or the positive isnt hooked up somewhere. how else can everything be dead? it was running great before, how can every electical item just fail at once<br /><br />ok i have a switchbox see. on the left side the manual shows like 5 posts. on this switchbox,i only have 3. the 2 other thingies on top and bottom seem to be some sort of thumbscrews. the book says the red stator wire should plug into the top left terminal of the SB. But, i have no red wire, in fact i can only locate 2 yellows and 2 other wires from the stator<br /><br /><br />also, SORRY, but the guy showed me the enging running on a stand with no remote hooked up. heused some kind of rigged switch to start her. im wondering if when he disconnected his gadget he forgot to rehook up something. there is an extra wire going to no where, a red one connectedto the 20 amp fuse. it just hangs onto the red wire which goes through the harness i dont know maybe that means something