Now what?

fishndvm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I finally started to look over my newly acquired engine today, and I already created some grief for myself. I'm actually not used to being able to shift from the tiller handle, and in running it through it's range of motion today, I guess one of the gears was in that sort of mid position, and when I exerted a little too much force on the handle, I felt a distinct "snap". It turned out to be one of the linkage rods, and I managed to break one of the plastic ring ends that slips over a ball-like end that moves the shift rod. It's a 25hp, 1986 model Merc. Does anyone know if this rod would likely be available from a dealer? Also, when I went to check for spark, I discovered that it had "surface gap" spark plugs. How do you check for spark with these plugs? Thanks for any help you can give me.

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Now what?

Couple of hints/ideas ... as you learned,don't shift the motor unless running,or turning the propeller (propshaft).Yes.your dealer should have no problem getting you a new coupler.<br /><br />Also ask him about a spark checker.It has an adjustable gap.Your motor should be able to provide at least a spark jump of 3/8 inch.If not it will not run right.<br /><br />That's how good todays ignitions are,and need to be.<br /><br />DHP

fishndvm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for your reply. I'll sleep a little better tonight, for sure.

fishndvm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought a Clymer manual today for this engine , and of course it includes a bunch of engines. It's not the greatest for sure, and it doesn't have good schematics for my particular engine. Where might I get the schematics for this engine? Would a Merc dealer be able to provide one? A picture's worth a thousand words!

Dunaruna

Admiral

You can try <br /><br />bighammer dot net/mercury/factory_manuals/Service_Manual_Index.html<br /><br />They have manuals online but you need the latest version of adobe acrobat.<br /><br />Aldo